swaping ac unit. Help!

-

cali concept

Reaction score
Can I put 1972 dart ac unit into a 1967 dart where there was none and how much work is it?

I should be fairly straight forward and I don't see why not as long as you have all of the parts from the 72 to use. I'd make sure that you get pictures of the firewall holes and measure everything out before you start.
I'd say it's a fair amount of work:
1. Under dash A/C box = pain to remove and install.
2. Condenser in the front = whole grill and hood latch panel has to be removed.
3. Holes need to be cut into the firewall = scary :D
4. Bracketry has to be swapped from 72 motor to 67 motor = ok if its from v8-v8, problematic if its from /6-v8 or vise versa.
5. A/C controls need to be swapped out = need to be careful with the vacuum actuators and such as they are probably very brittle

I've never done it, but my car has A/C and I'm just thinking through all of the "moving" parts :)

Charlie_S is a good resource for A/C questions.

Welcome aboard BTW!

I have the entire 72 dart here in my driveway, I bought it from the wreckers for 800. My 67 dodge dart doesnt come with ac so I knew I was going to be cutting some holes in the firewall. But I am wondering about the controls for the ac system. I found a couple places that price the little piece of plastic for 150 bucks for my dashboard unless you know a better place. Thanks for the info

My 2 cents worth, get an aftermarket kit that has everything and it will be easier, more efficient in it's cooling abilities, easier to find parts in the future and possibly even cheaper by the time you are done. The kits that are out there, at least some of them, are designed to install in cars w/o a/c.
If you conduct a search you should find several threads similar to your questions. My 2 cents comes from following some of those threads, never having installed mine yet...
And yes, welcome aboard - glad to have you here.:cheers:
C

I'm swapping out the RV-2 compressor for a Sanden in preparation for converting to R134a on the Demon. Here are some of the issues I've dealt with:
  • The Sanden compressor came with integral attachment points, no brackets were needed.
  • Check to make sure that compressor, idler pulley (if equipped), and crank pulleys line up properly. If not, compressor is liable to sling off a belt causing all sorts of mischief. Some compressors use 2 belts, others only one. Suggesting you may need to swap crank pulleys on the 67 to get this to work.
  • Get all hoses and underhood componentry related to A/C removed. Even if they leak or do not work, they can be used as a pattern for a new hose to be made, or a component purchased.
  • The A/C has its own underhood electrical harness that includes a lead to a pressure valve on the drier (to shut down if refrigerant gets too low) and the lead to the compressor clutch.
I'm at the point where all of the electical and compressor issues are solved. Just need to get the hoses made and buy a drier to button it up and be cool by this summer.

The pre 73 a/c systems have their issues. The push button controllers were a common failure. The hot water control valve is a odd creater too. Rather than have a pring return servo with a single vacuum line, it has 2 vacuum lines on a neutral servo.
The cntroller must vent one as supplies the other. Someone probably has figured out how to replace a leaky valve with a conventional single source n/o or n/c valve and what to do with the extra vacuum line. I haven't had to address that problem yet.
Good luck with it

Only the holes in the firewall are different. A member here has a cut out section of that a/c firewall that has been shipped to me and many others for pattern transfer. It's well worth the cost of shipping.
I found only one hole that will need a raised dimple created in the sheet metal.

-
Back