swaping to MSD 6al

-
thanks guys , I mounted in the same location as RichardJ916 , thanks for the plug recommendation I'll have to give those a try , I'm running the NGK FR5 which is a little colder than yours so that might be the answer .

update , the car had a carb problem right before I started the conversion and was flooding itself so bad it would start , even the foot on the floor wouldn't work , it turns out the flooding was coupled with weak spark from the coil so when I put the blaster 2 in it fired up and after an afternoon of tuning with Inertia { thanks again bud } we had most of it sorted and running reasonably well . I then installed the MSD , the install was a breeze took about 30 minutes including gapping the plugs since I had already planned what was I was going to do before hand , fired up first try had a real strong smooth feel to her but wouldn't idle , she flooded again and would only restart with my foot on the floor . The motor was warmed up real good from tuning the carb and after a couple of try's where it would start with my foot on the floor , I would rev her a little to burn off any excess fuel and then gradually ease off the throttle only to have her flood out I said enough. It took me another 20-30 minutes to put her back to Mopar and sure enough turn the key and she fires right up . I thinking I need to find a better plug for the MSD ,when re-gapping back to .035 for stock the plugs were completely black and fluffy from the MSD so either the temp range is wrong or the .050 gap isn't right for these plugs . I tried to buy the Autolite plug recommended by Scott but that part # doesn't come up in the computer , I'm going to hold off the MSD until I am sure all the carb issues are sorted and I get some more input on plug selection .
My bad,plug# is Autolite Racing AR3934....not R3934.

well it's starting to look like I'm one of the unlucky ones , this thing has been hooked up twice and won't run at idle , first time I was still recovering from a carb problem , finally got the carb working right again and retimed with a 14 degree bushing thanks to Crackedback , hook the damn msd up again and it won't run at anything less than 1400 rpm , it will fire and run strong with enough throttle to keep it over 1400 rpm but back off any more than that and it dies and coughs , the tard at MSD wants me to hook it up with the Mopar ecu still hooked up as well so they run together , yeah right how am I supposed to pull that off ? theres only 2 wires to the dist and 2 to the coil , he's telling me to run the white wire to the mopar box and see what happens ? if it doesn't fix it then that supposedly means I have a bad box which is pretty common from what I have found searching the net , it seems these newer 6al digital boxes are real hit and miss for quality mostly miss . I'm going to call them back tomorrow and tell them I tried what they suggested with no luck and get a return code . Sometimes I got to wonder what people are thinking , do they really think I'm going to chop up my wiring harness to test their box ? then what ? I'm supposed to tape splice it like some rube ? the instructions were bad enough with them telling you that if you use a two wire dist. you should " Cut the unused white wire and tape it up real good so it doesn't arc or ground out " yeah right ! how about I just remove the wire from the connector properly and plug the open hole with a dab of silicone to keep moisture out instead .

if it doesn't fix it then that supposedly means I have a bad box which is pretty common from what I have found searching the net , it seems these newer 6al digital boxes are real hit and miss for quality mostly miss . I'm going to call them back tomorrow and tell them I tried what they suggested with no luck and get a return code .

Yup, could be a bad box from what I have been reading it is becoming more common.

You might want to PM member Clinteg, he knows a guy that used to work at MSD and can fix them to better than what they were. I was just reading that in one of his threads the other day.

It's hit or miss you might send it back and get another bad one.

They better do something real quick to fix their issues.

Yup, could be a bad box from what I have been reading it is becoming more common.

You might want to PM member Clinteg, he knows a guy that used to work at MSD and can fix them to better than what they were. I was just reading that in one of his threads the other day.

It's hit or miss you might send it back and get another bad one.

They better do something real quick to fix their issues.
Yeah apparently it's these new digital boxes , I'm not paying for a repair tho , if they don't want to make good it goes back to the store for a cash refund .It sounded like the guy knows they have a problem and was making up some dumb test before giving me a return code .I've been reading their own tech threads and there are a lot of people saying the same thing .

Sorry to here your MSD issues Chris.I,ve never had any issues that you speak of in the 7 yrs I,ve been running the 6AL boxes in 2 of my cars.I did step up to the 7AL 2 step in the 66 Dart though.Guess I,ll be keeping the 6AL box I removed if they,ve changed them to Chinese guts.

yeah they went all digital inside instead of the older analog boxes which everyone says were much better , they selling point for the new ones is the simple rev limiter setup with 2 dials instead of the plug in pills , and the price point , they have been on sale around here for 260 -270 which is why I jumped in instead of going with Trailbeast's HEI setup , I've got all the mopar harness connections converted to weather resistant spade connectors so it's like a 2 bolt 5 minute swap and even when I get it working I'm going to leave all the mopar stuff right where it is just in case .

I am using the MP version of the MSD-6AL, and LOVE it. My Barracuda has no choke, and it starts from cold much better than it used to.

I have it mounted in the glove box so I can change the limiter chip quickly if I want to, (if there is a "guest driver" at the track), and the box is hidden from the tech inspectors too! ;)

That's were mine is mounted as well , You guys both have the older boxes which use the pills and are actually an analog box { I think } , I bought the new digital version with rev limiter dials hidden under a little black cover on the top of the box , your boxes have been on the market for quite a while and are known to be good , mine is new and known to be very hit and miss for quality , the guy I spoke to today was a lot smarter than yesterday's guy , we talked about voltage drop during cranking and I found a better 12volt point for the red trigger wire , the box fired and she started right up but stumbled backfired out the carb and stalled right away , now not only will it not run at idle but trying to feed her gas results in a pop and stall . 2 steps forward and 3 steps back , gotta love paying for a product only to be used as a tester , they know they have a quality problem but won't admit it because they don't want to give refunds , lucky for me I can return it if I have to , to be fair I will buy a replacement main harness to include with the box since I have shortened and added connectors to the one that came with it , so I will end up out the cost of the replacement harness and the connectors if I do take it back .

Heck if they give me a return code I might get the replacement /repair and then take it back for a refund anyway just to be fair to my parts guys who always go out of their way to look after me . Heck I get top dog wholesale repair shop pricing even tho i'm just a retail customer , ya got to keep guys like that on the good books eh lol .

-
Back