Swapping a 225 for a 360

-

1974dodge

Reaction score
Hello guys and gals! Just wondering what I would need to swap my 225 for a 360 on my 1974 dodge dart swinger. Would I need a new transmission? Would I need to redo brakes and suspension? Basically just looking for what needs to be done to swap the engines. Thanks!

Hello guys and gals! Just wondering what I would need to swap my 225 for a 360 on my 1974 dodge dart swinger. Would I need a new transmission? Would I need to redo brakes and suspension? Basically just looking for what needs to be done to swap the engines. Thanks!

You will need a SB trans. I would go with a fresh 904.
You will have to get a new V8 driveshaft.
New trans lines.
What brakes do you have now ? If not disc, I would upgrade.
More than likely you have /6 torsion bars. I would upgrade to a minimum 318 or 340 V8 set.
You would need either a V8 K frame or Schumacher /6 to small block motor mounts.
Next comes the V8 radiator & hoses.
V8 throttle/kickdown linkage.
You probably have a 7.25" rear end. Time to upgrade 8.75"
Old soft saggy leaf springs would have to go.
Next up...Dual exhaust for the V8
Im sure I've missed a bunch, this is just for starters.
Good luck !

are you swapping a LA motor or a Magnum Motor in..
Carb or FI?
What kind of brakes do you have now?
How is your electrical system now?
What rear end do you have?

I did this swap a little while ago and am still finalizing it..
My list started out with just a simple 360 LA engine, trans and 8.75
it has expanded to brakes (disc brakes now) New brake lines, New trans lines, different fuel system, new radiator, Painless wiring kit (not necessary but had too many electrical issues), B&M ratchet shifter, Headers, New exhaust, front and rear shocks, new rear springs.

im in the same boat
so far ive picked up a set of mounts, a 360/727 combo a mini starter and headers
I still need the transmission cooler lines, a radiator, a distributor and a ton of little parts

oh, I also have a 360 center sump oilpan

anyone have any suggestions or tips im all ears

I am planning on using a lokar kickdown cable, can I use my /6 throttle cable?

the throttle cable did not work for my swap, I used a lokar one for that. The kick down I used the Bouchillon performance one as it was already setup with the correct brackets and everything.. Nothing against the lokar ones just there were some horror stories going around about not adjusting them right and burning up transmissions.

I didn't have to change a lot when I swapped to a v8. Kept my brakes, didn't change the suspension, pretty much all the wiring carried right over. Even kept my old alternator. The power steering hoses I had some problems with so I just had a hose made. Since my car had a manual trans I just swapped bellhousings and kept the same transmission and rear end since it was an 8 1/4. It's a pretty easy swap. But if you've got an auto trans then you'll need to change that and if you have a 7 1/4 then that will probably need to go as well. I went with an aftermarket aluminum radiator and an electric fan but you could also use a factory small block radiator and it would work fine. its pretty self explanatory when you start doing the swap and you see what will work and what won't.

-
Back