swapping axles

-

hairy72

Reaction score
i have a 72 duster with a 7 1/4 axle and im switching to a 8 1/4. how hard is it to do. do i need a different driveshaft or can i use my stock one. also i need new drums for it so could anyone tell me what other cars that i could find in a junkyard that had the same axle so i could use there drums.

Someone here can elaborate for you but I'm getting ready to do the same swap. I know you'll need larger U-bolts (3 in.), and shorten the driveshaft by 1.6 inches I believe. Cant help you on the brakes though.,

use your 7.25 drums backing plates and hardware i believe unless youre changing bolt pattern

Any drum off of a mopar that is 10" x 2.5" and 4.5" bolt circle will work. It would probably be cheaper to purchase new drums by the time you purchase used ones and have them turned.

Chuck

do you mean just drill the 4.5" pattern onto the 4" pattern drums. is it safe to do that.

I do believe that is what he meant and it is safe as long as the drum registers on the hub. You will not be able to do this in your case because the 4" bolt circle stuff has a different hub register than the 4.5" stuff.

Chuck

i have a 72 duster with a 7 1/4 axle and im switching to a 8 1/4. how hard is it to do. do i need a different driveshaft or can i use my stock one. also i need new drums for it so could anyone tell me what other cars that i could find in a junkyard that had the same axle so i could use there drums.

The drive shaft will need to be shortened. Also the shock plates that attach the axle to the springs (and the shocks mount too) has hole spacing for the smaller 2.5" diameter 7.25 axle. You will need to either elongate the holes holes or get the shock plates from the doner car. Also, you will need new u-bolts to fit the 3" axle tube on the 8.25. I got generic bolts at NAPA.

New brake drums are as close as your local Autozone or Advanced Auto, they are about $30 each.

where can i get my driveshaft shortend and how much does it usually cost.

Check your yellow pages for a machine shop that can do it. It cost me $75 to cut balance and that included new u-joints.

-
Back