Swapping intervals on 904s

-

growdude

Disabled but not dead
Reaction score
I have a 70 904 /6 trans can I just swap the internals to a small block case and be good?

yes, however, somethings might need to be strengthened and /or adjusted to fit the characteristics of the V8. Im thinking clutch packs and the governor however it would work in theory. the v8 casr should be from 68 thru 79.

the slant 6s usually only have 3 disc in the front and rear clutch pac compared to the 318 having 4 each....also the V8 trans use a double wrap rear band where as the slant 6 does not..uses single wrap band...cause I bought two by mistake...lol

You can't really beef up slanty parts. There is not enough room inside the drums for more plates, and the drum is designed with a narrow friction surface for the band, and the planetaries are 3 pinions. IIRC the L/R anchor is also not up to V8 status.

You can do the swap alright, just remember it was designed for nearly 100 hp less than your teener, and a lot less torque.

Last edited:
I guess my question should have read what parts can I safely use from a slant6 904 and put into a v8 904 .

Ok thanks sorry for the confusion,i try to use good used parts where I can but I don't mind spending money on good parts for performance and safety.

-
Back