swapping to spool mount k frame

-

csx452

Reaction score
If I swap from a /6 k frame in a 72 Dart to a spool mount V-8 k frame, what else do I have to replace?
Thanks,
Frank

Hey Frank, as long as you are not using a sway bar, the K-frame is a bolt in and go. You can still use your LCA's and the same torsion bars and everything else. If you are using a sway bar, a 73 and later style sway bar setup is the only choice. The later style sway bar passes through the center web of the K-frame while the earlier style bolts to the lower front. Of course you need the spool style motor mounts, but you already know that!! Good luck with the swap, Geof

Thanks for the reply Goef. If I do this I guess a swaybar is out for now. I have one from PST that is for a 72. Guess that won't work with the spool mount. I guess I could always go with Schumacher mounts instead or just find a biscuit mount k frame.

While there are no access holes in the 67-72 K to allow using the 73-76 stabilizer bar, it should be possible to use the 72 style stabilizer bar with it's longer lever arms on the 73-76 K, although you might have to drill a couple of holes (if they are not already there), because the mounts bolt under the K on the front pinch flange near the strut rod mounting holes. Just remember to use the correct lower control arms for the style of bar you are using and that the 67-72 style bar interferes with the stock front mounted calipers of a 73-76.

While there are no access holes in the 67-72 K to allow using the 73-76 stabilizer bar, it should be possible to use the 72 style stabilizer bar with it's longer lever arms on the 73-76 K, although you might have to drill a couple of holes (if they are not already there), because the mounts bolt under the K on the front pinch flange near the strut rod mounting holes. Just remember to use the correct lower control arms for the style of bar you are using and that the 67-72 style bar interferes with the stock front mounted calipers of a 73-76.

Members flip sides with the spindles from side to side so the calipers are on the back and that solves all problems.

Sorry im not much of a tech guy. My 72 dart was a /6 car also, but now has a 318. So im guessing they had to change the K frame for this? Also , whats the difference between spool mounts and standard mounts, looks and such? Thanks, DAN

Eearly spool mount k-members had the early sway bar bracket holes drilled, while later ones had them drilled (probably stamped) in one piece, but not the other. If you are running late discs with the calipers mounted to the front, just shorten the end links for clearance (or swap, it really doesn't matter as I run short links on everything anyway).

Good info to know. Thanks. I just want to convert from a slant to a smallblock right now. Somewhere down the line I'll be doing the big bolt pattern change though, so a spool mount k-frame is what I'll use. I have one sitting in my cellar right now.

-
Back