Sway Bar Question

-

RichardJ916

Reaction score
This winter when I put the car up for the year I will be looking at ways to make it handel better next year. I may want to order a sway bar to help.

The reason for my question is I have a 72 Duster with a 360 now, I needed a new Pitman arm for sure and during the time I was ready to order the pitman arm i ordered it for the 72 manual, comes to find out after getting the pitman arm ( 1972 )it had the nut on the wrong side meaning where the ball joint and nut went through the center link.

1972 nut is on top of center link
1973 nut is on the bottom of center link

So now if I need to order a sway bar do i get one for the 73 style of 72 style front end.....

I am not sure what other front end parts were swaped over from the 72 to 73 body parts.

Please help me.

Another thing it has been switched over to Disk breakes all ready.

Attachments

• IMAG0088.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMAG0089.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 124
My, 73 is in the same exact state as your 72 at the moment. no engine in the bay. My k frame has different motor mounts, setup for the spool mounts. and my center link is different. my tie rods are orientated the same as the idler and pitman arm on the center link. not twisted 90 degrees like yours. I'm thinking you've got both 72 and under kframe and center link.

So I'm thinking your going to need a 72 and under sway bar. I don't think different year lower control arms will matter just some had sway bar tabs and some didn't the kit should come with some kind of mounts for the lower control arm.

I think mine either bolted to the shock bolt or you had to drill a hole in the LCA. can't remember off the top of my head.

Still unsure here....
The big question is how do i know what year to order.... 72 or 73 Year.
Looks like when i ordered a new pitman arm it turned out that i had to get the 1973 version, even though it is a 1972 Duster. So i dont know how to tell what other parts have been changed over to the new years.

Hope it make sence.

-
Back