Sway Bar Shock Mount Angle

-

Red_Duster

Reaction score
Ok. Here’s a dumb question. Working on the ‘68 Dart’s front suspension. Just added PST 1.03 bars, new shocks and working on installing this guy. Got it few months back from a fella on Craigslist when I was looking for something else. It has no markings, came with the links, front of K brackets and he was “pretty sure” it was for an A-Body. Now I don’t know anything about building a car that doesn’t go in a straight line so this is new for me.

I think it’s obviously the end links are too short, but the stupid question… do I have the bar upside down? I assumed the endlinks would be angled out, not in. With the suspension hanging, it’s pretty flat. At ride height they are angling in and hitting my strut rods. New end links are on the way, but should I flip it over? First picture is in the air, second is on the ground, last is the front. It’s centered up and both sides have the same issues

99E0198D-468A-4ACB-88D8-0DAEBA3E4A76.jpeg

7E328CA7-3523-4958-AB3A-782F462193F8.jpeg

F0E92B4E-395B-48DF-8701-6A02289B4F18.jpeg

I think you have it right, but I modified the mounts on mine, because it mounted like yours and the bottom side of the mounts would sometimes bottom out on the road going over bumps and what not. I have a picture or three on here somewhere. I'll try to find them.

I think you have it right, but I modified the mounts on mine, because it mounted like yours and the bottom side of the mounts would sometimes bottom out on the road going over bumps and what not. I have a picture or three on here somewhere. I'll try to find them.
Thanks Rusty. Any help is appreciated!

In my unprofessional opinion, after playing with a couple of them, one of them being a 70 and up K changed on my 66 satellite (someone else did) and rear mounted FMJ calipers (some rocket scientists put the bleeder valves on the bottom), and on my 74 Duster Factory front sway bar, it almost seems to me that you should measure the end link holes Center Line and then check with manufacturer specifications to make sure! I'm not one to 2nd guess Rob (he's one bad dude, and freely donates a lot of time and information to the people here) but that one photo you had on there looks a little silly... I'm going to look again, just to make sure I don't seem mo stupid than I am. But again I would think you'd be able to measure the center links attachment points on the actual sway bar itself to verify if it's the one you need and if that tab was welded on by someone that's kind of odd itself, But... don't take this as gospel

All right here's my unofficial, official judgment, why are the bolts for the K member parts looking forward like the headlights instead of being parallel to the drive shaft? And the other part the tab is definitely jacked up ain't no way in hell that thing should be all crooked like that. I'm bending over now can all y'all can start kicking my *** but I highly doubt what I'm seeing is correct whether aftermarket or not

i see you have 73~76 LCA's, are you running the matching K?

that bar (assuming it's centered) looks like it's for early tabbed 67~72 LCA's but it doesn't have the bump in the center. but, it looks like with the right links it could be made to work if it was mounted under the K in the stock location.

All right here's my unofficial, official judgment, why are the bolts for the K member parts looking forward like the headlights instead of being parallel to the drive shaft? And the other part the tab is definitely jacked up ain't no way in hell that thing should be all crooked like that. I'm bending over now can all y'all can start kicking my *** but I highly doubt what I'm seeing is correct whether aftermarket or not
No kicking here. I even started with stating is probably a dumb questions. But the tabs aren't welded on, they are bolted to the schock mount, which seems pretty normal, even if its not ideal.

i see you have 73~76 LCA's, are you running the matching K?

that bar (assuming it's centered) looks like it's for early tabbed 67~72 LCA's but it doesn't have the bump in the center. but, it looks like with the right links it could be made to work if it was mounted under the K in the stock location.
Therein lies part of my problem. At some point in her life, she got the newer style tabbed LCAs, but still has the '68 K. I think that the mismatch rules out most of the aftermarket sway bars that are direct bolt ins for either style.

Here is how I ended up doing mine. It ended up over the valance panel strut. I like that a lot better.
Thanks Rusty. I agree the ground clearance would help. I might try and copy that setup. My only questions, and forgive my ignorance, is I thought the trailing arms of the sway bar were supposed to be parallel to the ground at right height? If I can go higher or lower, I think I can make this one work.

I'm not up on my '68's, and this is probably such a dumb observation that it's going to need to be watered twice a week, but...
#1, those tabs aren't rigid at all and are probably going to fatigue and break if you're driving anywhere close to the limits of that sway bar. They're just pieces of angle-iron sawed off and not braced in any way.
#2, that brake line doesn't look right.

I think if you're gonna spend that kinda money on parts that bolt to your car, spend a wee bit more and get some fo-real 'correct' sway bar tabs welded in, and ditch that mickey mouse ****. I don't know what the '68's used for sway bars. I swapped my '72 over using a complete '74 K and everything just to avoid these kinds of issues.

All right here's my unofficial, official judgment, why are the bolts for the K member parts looking forward like the headlights instead of being parallel to the drive shaft?

its the way the PST makes it for some reason. pretty stupid if you ask me.. i went with a hellwig bar. mounts like a stock one and comes with all the bracketes needed. even has control arm mounts that bolt to the shock bolt it needed.

file:///D:/Downloads/installation-instructions.pdf

1 1/8" Front Sway Bar

sway bar.JPG

Thanks Rusty. I agree the ground clearance would help. I might try and copy that setup. My only questions, and forgive my ignorance, is I thought the trailing arms of the sway bar were supposed to be parallel to the ground at right height? If I can go higher or lower, I think I can make this one work.
It's up for debate. Some say that's the best way, some don't. I've seen factory cars where the sway bars weren't even close to parallel with the ground, so it must not be too critical.

It's up for debate. Some say that's the best way, some don't. I've seen factory cars where the sway bars weren't even close to parallel with the ground, so it must not be too critical.
Then I'm not going to worry about it too much. Going to try longer links and see if that helps. Looking at the thread you posted above, the post directly below yours looks exactly like my setup, with the same issue Im having. The only difference is looking at his bar where the end link goes through, it does look like mine might be upside down
its the way the PST makes it for some reason. pretty stupid if you ask me.. i went with a hellwig bar. mounts like a stock one and comes with all the bracketes needed. even has control arm mounts that bolt to the shock bolt it needed.

1 1/8" Front Sway Bar

View attachment 1716073091

Well, I feel slightly better about myself putting that together with a bag of parts and no instructions, even if its is a weird setup that I'd like to match to RRR's.

Then I'm not going to worry about it too much. Going to try longer links and see if that helps. Looking at the thread you posted above, the post directly below yours looks exactly like my setup, with the same issue Im having. The only difference is looking at his bar where the end link goes through, it does look like mine might be upside down

Well, I feel slightly better about myself putting that together with a bag of parts and no instructions, even if its is a weird setup that I'd like to match to RRR's.
It could be. I do believe there is a right and wrong way, so that's certainly worth looking into. One way the end link bushings fit much better.

1 1/8" Front Sway Bar

View attachment 1716073091
Ok, now I get it, just never seen one like that! Not ever seeing what it looked kind of crazy to me. Thanks A-body Joe!

-
Back