sway bar

-

3404spdfish

Reaction score
just a question, was there ever a early a body that had a rear sway bar?

Not really needed.
I guess it depends on what kind of handling you need. Lots of models have that option. If they don't help, I doubt they would have been designed and used.

On an A body, there is rarely an improvement. If you want one, someone will sell you one. If I was going to get a rear sway bar, I'd get a matched set that was supposedly tuned for better handling. The only A-Body rear bar that came OEM was the police rear bar in 76? and that was probably specd by the police? The Formula S package handled very nice in an early A. If I wanted more, I'd look at Firm Feel.

Last edited:
On an A body, there is rarely an improvement. If you want one, someone will sell you one. If I was going to get a rear sway bar, I'd get a matched set that was supposedly tuned for better handling. The only A-Body rear bar that came OEM was the police rear bar in 76? and that was probably specd by the police? The Formula S package handled very nice in an early A. If I wanted more, I'd look at Firm Feel.

Bruce (7071DartGTReg), RIP, had a 76 Dart police spec car. Big bolt pattern discs in front, big bolt pattern 7 1/4 in back, sway bars front and rear.........and a slant 6 under the hood. That was a very cool car. I remember it well. I don't know where it ended up after he died.

Bruce (7071DartGTReg), RIP, had a 76 Dart police spec car. Big bolt pattern discs in front, big bolt pattern 7 1/4 in back, sway bars front and rear.........and a slant 6 under the hood. That was a very cool car. I remember it well. I don't know where it ended up after he died.
Sounds like a very nice driver. I have a 76 rear bar assembly, but it has never made it to a car yet. I run 8 3/4 rears and not sure it would fit. I guess I should test fit it on the 67 Barracuda when I upgrade the rear suspension.

Sounds like a very nice driver. I have a 76 rear bar assembly, but it has never made it to a car yet. I run 8 3/4 rears and not sure it would fit. I guess I should test fit it on the 67 Barracuda when I upgrade the rear suspension.
I'm pretty sure it'll fit. I think the only thing different are the u bolts that hold it to the rear axle housing. ....at least that's how the aftermarket one is that I have.

A rear sway bar improved my 66.
after going to an autocross it was obvious that I needed a sway bar on my 66 Dart GT (with the 235HP 273) back in 1973. I robbed the front one from a junkyard 1967 Formula S and welded a homemade link mount to the left side lower control arm. The right side lower had been replaced(a Mopar part) and the replacement came with one on it. It became a Mustangs nightmare at the Sunday autocross, so I was put in the "heavy sedan class".

Putting one on the rear made it even better. Addco made the rear

I have an early A front and rear seat bar assembly that came from a 65 Barracuda. Although aftermarket, it was obviously installed very early on as the car was sitting for at least a couple decades. Probably the best items I gleaned from that car, and the rear window blower and 5.5” wheels.

I have an early A front and rear seat bar assembly that came from a 65 Barracuda. Although aftermarket, it was obviously installed very early on as the car was sitting for at least a couple decades. Probably the best items I gleaned from that car, and the rear window blower and 5.5” wheels.
My experience with the early Addco bars is that they were poorly designed. The width was way off causing the end links to constantly be stressed and eventually bend. Helwig makes a much better one.

I agree with many posters comments. Many older parts are getting hard to find. Best fitting rear bar I've ever found is from an AMC Concorde. I even use the AMC end link brackets. Only one diameter was made unfortunately. I've also had good luck with 3rd Gen Camaro/Firebird rear bars. End link holes are wider than an early "A" and end up slightly under the actual frame rails and not inside them. I rebend the bar ends in about 3/8" per side. This application is nice because there are at least three different diameters I'm aware of from factory and
more sizes from aftermarket suppliers. Of course as diameter increases re bending gets more difficult. As was suggested by another poster I did this because, back then, Aadco was all that was out there and I always disliked (being diplomatic) their mounting hardware, especially hardware supplied with their rear bar back then. Also agree with others that '76 police pkg was only factory installed rear bar on any "A" body.

Not really needed if you're as mellow of a driver as I am.
Uhhh.....

1 hmmmm.jpeg

A rear sway bar improved my 66.
after going to an autocross it was obvious that I needed a sway bar on my 66 Dart GT (with the 235HP 273) back in 1973. I robbed the front one from a junkyard 1967 Formula S and welded a homemade link mount to the left side lower control arm. The right side lower had been replaced(a Mopar part) and the replacement came with one on it. It became a Mustangs nightmare at the Sunday autocross, so I was put in the "heavy sedan class".

Putting one on the rear made it even better. Addco made the rear
Yeah, the Addco brand was what was in the Mopar Performance suspension manual. They used to be made well. Now, the bars themselves are fine, but the mounting hardware is junk.

Yeah, the Addco brand was what was in the Mopar Performance suspension manual. They used to be made well. Now, the bars themselves are fine, but the mounting hardware is junk.
I agree. Look at the crappy stack up of pieces just to mount it to the axle housing....then to the right, the thin and flimsy manner or mounting it to the frame rails.

34.JPG

Funny, the "Green Brick" was running with the big boys, and did not have a rear sway bar. It was tried and found the car handled better without the rear bar. Keep believing everything they're selling.

-
Back