Swinger roof rot progress.

-

JoeDust451

Reaction score
I started cutting on the roof the other day, This kind of work is new for me, i think it accually looks better this way then looking at the rust, oh what vinyl tops will do. I'll post pics as i go along. The 1st. pics is what i found when the V top was removed, then after cutting.

100_0888.jpg

100_0891.jpg

100_0883.jpg

100_0884.jpg

100_0904.jpg

100_0903.jpg

100_0905.jpg

Most would run from that as a first project.......keep it up

Most would run from that as a first project.......keep it up

I'm sure they would, i did many times in the past, all i worked on was the mechanical end, but this is fun i think, different.

still not as bad as mine lol good job. :thumleft:

That looks very familiar; must have been designed to be on all Darts by Dodge if they survived this long. It's pretty close to what I found when the vinyl top came off. Are you going to re-install a vinyl roof or go with paint?
Good luck on the project, & keep us posted.

I'm thinking of going back with a vinyl top, this way, any little improfections will be covered.

Most vinyl tops show some rust when removed, but this one, wow! Looks like a real challenge. Good luck.

Took the skin off, there were no tac welds, just glue on the middle support, came right off, you know what would look cool, a canvas top lol.

100_0918.jpg

100_0919.jpg

100_0920.jpg

100_0921.jpg

I also got the bumper/fender extention on. Just need to work on the valance.

100_0923.jpg

You are a brave man, but keep up the good work.

You are a brave man, but keep up the good work.

Thanks, it really wasn't that hard, i would have never tackled this before, but i'm determined to save this car, the only real issue is the roof, the car runs great, & the rest of it is very solid.

Well I sincerely wish you luck on that roof replacement.
Thats one heck of a project to undertake and the fact that you did, in fact, undertake it says a lot about you and a lot about how you feel about that car.

And I thought the little bit of rust I had in some small areas on my roof was bad...

wow looks like fun, are you thinking about chopping it? or am I a bad person for thinking about things like that8)

That's the way to do it, jump in with both feet so there's no turning back. Do you have a donor roof already? Kev

Have a Donor roof, just hopeing it'll be pulled by this weekend, it was suppost to be pulled today, its really working out quit well "so far", i'm planning it out step by step, No chopping it lol, takeing off the skin will keep the structure safe, you never know what could happen if you start cutting at the pillers, could turn ungly (on a unabody) if its not "jigged", at least thats what i've heard from whatching overhaulin when they replaced a roof & side pillers, they accually turned a rusted hardtop into a convertible.

Oh & BTW, i'm doing it freehand, ok so i have steady hands most of the time. I will mock up the skin on the doner & draw it out.

Well I sincerely wish you luck on that roof replacement.
Thats one heck of a project to undertake and the fact that you did, in fact, undertake it says a lot about you and a lot about how you feel about that car.

And I thought the little bit of rust I had in some small areas on my roof was bad...

If all goes well, i might start doing this & other patching for people, not too many Mopar guys around me, & i wouldn't charge an arm & leg.

wow looks like fun, are you thinking about chopping it? or am I a bad person for thinking about things like that8)

Well, he did mention a canvas sunroof...you wanna chop it...I'll suggest T-tops!:snakeman:

Finally got my roof yesturday, it tucked right in the bed of my truck for the 90 mile ride home. I've just about got the skin cut off, will finish it up tomorrow, then post more pics.

100_0924.jpg

100_0925.jpg

Look at how solid these front floors are.

100_0906.jpg

100_0908.jpg

Floor pan looks pretty clean. I'm about to gut my interior to get it ready to have the subframe connectors welded in. Hopefully mine will look as good as yours does.

Its coming along, got the roof skin on a couple weeks ago, still doing some spot welding, don't look pretty now, but its straight & once done, i'm sure it'll look good, i'm looking into spraying it with that rino lineing. Try not to laugh at my welding job, i'm only working with a flux wire feed & this is my 1st. time doing this 8), that black you see isn't holes, just carbon splatter.

100_0926.jpg

100_0927.jpg

100_0929.jpg

100_0930.jpg

100_0928.jpg

-
Back