Switching from power steering to manual- does anyone do this?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
I like the idea of dropping ~15lbs off the front of the car, getting back the 3-5hp that the steering pump robs, possibly getting some better steering feel and cleaning up the engine bay in the process... but is it worth it?

I realize that the swap requires a new box and a new steering column so it's not an afternoon job...

What are your thoughts? Have you done it?

When I was 18-19 (many moons ago...but same Dart) I pulled the belt off of the pump and drove around without the assist but there was a ton of play in the steering and it just felt sloppy...is it correct to assume that the manual box would be better in that regard?

Thanks for any thoughts!!

I've done it. If you do a lot of parking lot driving it's rough with a heavy car and big tires...lol. But - it's ewasier nowadays. Get the steering column extension and a box and you're good to go. In terms of road feel - it's not a ton better. Mopars suck for road feel. You can adjust the box a little but "bad" just gets better to "marginal". The Firm Feel or similar power boxes are much better for road feel.

A few month's ago I had all of the parts in my hand to do this swap, and for all of the reasons that you listed. But at the last minute I realized that (as moper said) I do a lot of parking lot driving. So I left it in, and I'm glad that I did.
If you're racing this car and you're looking to scrub off some weight and some parasitic loss by all means go for it!
Ted

I've done it. If you do a lot of parking lot driving it's rough with a heavy car and big tires...lol. But - it's ewasier nowadays. Get the steering column extension and a box and you're good to go. In terms of road feel - it's not a ton better. Mopars suck for road feel. You can adjust the box a little but "bad" just gets better to "marginal". The Firm Feel or similar power boxes are much better for road feel.

Great info there!!
I do recall that with the de-powered rack and relatively wide front tires, it was a bear in the parking lot. :D

IIRC the Firm Feel stuff is pretty pricey, no? I will look into that. Sounds like a worthwhile upgrade!!

Thanks!

I this a census would find a nearly 50/50 split. Some going to manual steering for more performance. Others going to power steering for the creature features.
I'm in the later. The power steering allows smaller diameter steering wheel maneuvering with ease.

I'm in the process of going to manual steering. I'm going with the flaming river box myself. Most of my muscle cars had manual steering so I'm kind of partial to it:)

MRGTX,
I switched and I love it. I don't think I'll go back to power steering in the near future. Too sloppy for me.

Also, you can use a collapsed column from a B-body and it works great. Just don't try to extend your A-body column. Some people will tell you that this is fine, but this is NOT safe. You want the two column shaft pieces to be engaged as far as possible, while still allowing for some movement in the event of a car accident.

PM me if you have any questions.

-Mike

I had a 67 Cougar back in the day and kept having trouble with the power assist hydraulic hoses leaking and blowing so I ditched the whole thing. Making it manual steering by default. One day I was at a stop sign making a right hand turn and the pitman arm popped out of the socket I lost all steering and all I could do was beach it up on a curb until the wrecker came.

It`s quite the sensation when you are taking a corner and the wheel just goes slack and spins freely, I felt like the captain of the Titanic trying to miss the iceberg! AHHHH FULL STOP! RIGHT RUDDER HARD! Glad it happened then and not when I was bombing down the highway around 80 mph the day before!
If I recall correctly it needed a different pitman arm for manual steering than the one that let go never had a problem after that. The steering in that car always felt like an ice-cream truck at Daytona!

It`s quite the sensation when you are taking a corner and the wheel just goes slack and spins freely, I felt like the captain of the Titanic trying to miss the iceberg! AHHHH FULL STOP! RIGHT RUDDER HARD!

To early in the morning to be laughing this hard.....

I switched to manual when I got the Duster going a couple years ago (mostly to be sure to have room for headers down the road). Hate it. Would switch back in a heartbeat if I had the parts (and if I planned on driving the car any more lol).

I have both types and I hate manual steering. If my manual steering car wasn't 99% original it would have been converted to power steering.

My '65 has manual and I'm fine with it. I'm 6'1" and 220lbs so it will turn. But I've only had one non Mopar and interms of old cars (RWD up until the 80s) there is no road feel, nor was there ever with either type of steering. I've built cars with the quick ratio p/s boxes and i'd rather have one of them doing 150mph down the highway or fishtailing around back roads than a manual box. Most of my other cars had power steering and were none the worse for wear with it. I see little difference really besides driver exertion. A drag car - certainly where every hp neds to get to the tires. But you can just as easily upgrade the engine to get the power if it's not a race car.

Ive swapped every Mopar Ive had from power stearing to manual. I hate Mopar power steering.

Great info all around, guys...

MRGTX,
I switched and I love it. I don't think I'll go back to power steering in the near future. Too sloppy for me.

Also, you can use a collapsed column from a B-body and it works great. Just don't try to extend your A-body column. Some people will tell you that this is fine, but this is NOT safe. You want the two column shaft pieces to be engaged as far as possible, while still allowing for some movement in the event of a car accident.

PM me if you have any questions.

-Mike

Mike,
This is very generous of you. Thanks!!

I'm still 50/50 about just rebuilding the original power steering or de-powering... but the offer of support is massively appreciated!

You can always bolt on the Delphi unit. Power steering with a lot of road feel (from what I've read) and its smaller than a mopar unit

There's been a few articles in Mopar Action about reducing the power assist feeling of Saginaw pumps by adding shim washers. Maybe something similar for Federal pumps too but they are a bit harder to do. IMO, manual steering, at speed, feels more precise and gives better road feel / feedback. A larger diameter steering wheel can help make up for any additional steering effort. Still, if you do not need the extra room for headers or need the car to lose weight, I'd probably leave it as it originally came. But be advised, rebuilding a power steering box is not an easy DIY project. You need some specific tools, like an inch pounds torque wrench that can read in 1 inch pound increments, and a good digital fishing scale (yes, a fishing scale - replaces the distributor scale the factory service manual says to use...). I'd rate it as hard as doing a 727, in terms of skills and finesse needed. Lots of metal sealing rings, o-rings, and seals, and specific roller bearing drag 'clearances' need to be set, like setting the drag on a pinion bearing for a rear end. Or else send it out to be redone...

Ive swapped every Mopar Ive had from power stearing to manual. I hate Mopar power steering.

Nothing like the "No-Feel Power Steering"....we had a little Ranger with manual steering. At one point it had wide rubber on the front.....Ernestina was daily driving it at the time....When I put thinner tires back on it she was very grateful.

I have a manual box and it's hard to tell it's manual.
very easy to drive to me.
the only time you remember is when you get into a tight spot but still not too bad at all.
even with manual disc brakes and a 4 speed.

...converting my Dart from power to manual.
...i don't find the manual difficult,just don't try
and crank it in the parking lot until you are moving

One of the best Irving cars I had ws a 1970 340 auto Challenger with manual steering, but you have to plan ahead.

I drive a lot of cars at the Mecum auction that are manual, spotter will try and park you not knowing, they have to be rolling to turn them, or crank the hell out of it with both hands.

The hardest car I think I have ever parked was a 70 HEMI super bee with manual steering

I put power on my Dart, it drove ok with manual, but much better for the wife with power.

Tony Fields has manual on his Cuda and if it is a tight spot usually gets someone else to park it for him, I would convert his to power for the convienence if I were him.

Unless it is a pure race car, keep the power, you will get old and be glad you have it

I picked up a Saginaw pump to do the pressure relief mod but ultimately swapped to manual so that I could pick up some needed clearance for the blower setup. It does make for a cleaner, simpler engine bay. Got a box through carsteering.com. Tried the firm feel adaptor but had issues. Ended up lengthening my PS shaft and swapping in a manual coupler.

Maneuvering does require a lot more effort but I don't drive it daily so it's not a big deal. PS with reduced assistance would be the best of both worlds for me.

my big block dart is swapped from power to manual. that is what muscle cars are all about. manual steering, manual brakes, manual window and manual shifts. if i wanted "creature comforts" id tuck my D#*k back between my legs and drive a lexus. I love the uncivilized nature of my car.

My coronets manual with a big block. I am thinking of changing out the small superior steering wheel for something 14 or 15 inch. I like armstrong steering though.

My coronets manual with a big block. I am thinking of changing out the small superior steering wheel for something 14 or 15 inch. I like armstrong steering though.

A little bit of added leverage will go a long way.....

-
Back