Syncro worries on fresh rebuilt 833

-

airkiller

MOPARS Rule
Reaction score
I just rebuild my 833 for my Duster. I purchased a complet kit from Brewers including new syncros. I have had issues with the OD 833 I installed when I restored the car and just got the new 833 installed. All seemed to work fine. I could shift from 1st to 2nd with no issues and if the rpm is down below 3000 I can get up into 3rd and 4th with no issues. But if I let the car spool up in rpm and try to shift harder,I get a gear bump going into 3rd and 4th. I also have to double clutch ti get into 3rd unless I am down around 30 mph. Any Ideas? Is there any kind of break in period or maybe some sort of gear additive to help the cup work better?

You must run GL-4 oil in the trans. GL-4 is made for older soft metal (brass) syncro transmissions.
It is getting harder to find, because trannys arent using these type of brass syncros anymore. If you are running gear oil or automatic trans fluid your living in the dinosaur era. Run Red Line MT-90 GL-4 oil, and you will never look back.

You must run GL-4 oil in the trans. GL-4 is made for older soft metal (brass) syncro transmissions.
It is getting harder to find, because trannys arent using these type of brass syncros anymore. If you are running gear oil or automatic trans fluid your living in the dinosaur era. Run Red Line MT-90 GL-4 oil, and you will never look back.

we run 80-90 with no issues...

Mine did that same thing using gear oil. Switched to syncromesh and never looked back

-
Back