T-bar question

-

Pentarockstar

Reaction score
Working on 69 dart 340 swinger.

On the rear face of the t-bar it has a line cut into it. Does this line have to be clocked in any certain position? Like 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock?

Thanks!!

On the rear face of the t-bar it has a line cut into it. Does this line have to be clocked in any certain position? Like 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock?
That's a good question. I wonder why they are there?

Maybe leftovers from manufacturing to be sure the clocking of the flats are correct?

your car takes 892 right 893 left bars are numbered

Line toward the rear

upload_2020-5-26_11-1-31-jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Oldmanmopar, that is what i was looking for. The reason I was asking is that the adjusters for the t-bars is way different from side to side. One side has a bunch of threads showing on the bottom and the other does not. The car is level and drives fine.

Thanks for the info Oldmanmopar, that is what i was looking for. The reason I was asking is that the adjusters for the t-bars is way different from side to side. One side has a bunch of threads showing on the bottom and the other does not. The car is level and drives fine.

Torsion bars “sag” over time just like any spring. Rather than flattening or compressing like leafs or coils, the built in offset of the hex ends changes over time which changes the adjuster settings needed to maintain a specific height.

If your bars are original, they’re 53 years old. They don’t necessarily wear evenly, the car isn’t balanced 50/50 from left to right.

The LCA’s can also be installed a hex flat off on some torsion bars, but that’s usually more of an issue with larger aftermarket bars with a hex offset different from factory. With factory torsion bars and LCA’s mis-clocking the LCA’s on the hexes is very difficult to accomplish.

I always put the number to the rear and the line horizontal if I can, but, that's just my OCD kicking in! It really doesn't matter which end or if it's rotated. You just need make sure the left bar (odd number) is on the driver's side, and the right bar (even number) is on the passenger's side.

I always put the number to the rear and the line horizontal if I can, but, that's just my OCD kicking in! It really doesn't matter which end or if it's rotated. You just need make sure the left bar (odd number) is on the driver's side, and the right bar (even number) is on the passenger's side.
U say this even though u stick the bar in backwards it doesn’t make a difference? U r now twisting the bar in the opposite direction it was when it came from the factory. How can that not be a bad thing. Or am I missing something? Kim

It doesn't matter which end of the bar goes forward or to the rear. The twist on the bar is in the same direction.

Yup. The easiest way to confirm that is to take an ink pen, or something with two sections that screw together. Start with the two sections screwed together. Hold one end with one hand, and unscrew the other section with the other, taking note of which way you need to turn to loosen it (usually to the left :lol:) Then swap ends and do the same thing. Same twist loosens the two sections, right?

Sure, soda can, a lump of clay, just about anything where you can see the direction of the twist.

Which end of the torsion bar is to the front doesn’t matter, the twist and the hex offset is the same direction either way.

Left or right does matter, don’t swap them side to side.

I put the numbers or any stampings on the bars to the rear so that they can be seen. That way if something weird happens I can confirm the bars are on the correct side later, because I definitely won’t remember!

-
Back