T stat housing won't seal

-

BWDart

Reaction score
One bolt hole is stripped should I try this thread restore or jb weld a stud in and use a nut?

20200721_085015.jpg

Also with the Heli-coil use a dab of RTV to seal the bolt

I have a tap n die set there is enough meat there to go to the next size bigger bolt
Quess I could do that

No Sir !! You will regret doing that !! Heli Coil is hands down your best option ! Helicoil you will be able to use your factory bolt !!

No Sir !! You will regret doing that !! Heli Coil is hands down your best option ! Helicoil you will be able to use your factory bolt !!
Isn't that the same thing drill it out rethread it install heli coil not concerned about it havin factory bolt

Last edited:
Using the helicoil you only have to drill out the manifold, tap it and insert the helicoil in the manifold. Original thermostat bolt can now be reused. Housing does not get drilled. It seems you want to take the easy way out and drill out the manifold and put next size up bolt. The guys here give their opinion on how the best way to correct the problem. You now have choices so do what you want.

With 2 helicoil installs you could change course threads to fine threads. Less likely to strip out again.

Thanks for all the help guys n gals got it fixed found the majority of water was coming from heater hose next to t stat housing so I had 2 leaks aren't old cars fun. Now I need to see where trany leak is coming from one thing after another

Isn't that the same thing drill it out rethread it install heli coil not concerned about it havin factory bolt
The helicoil kit comes with the correct tap to install the helicoil! You will take that tap and tap out the hole! Then insert the helicoil .. Now your hole will be back to original size ! Quick easy and safe !!

-
Back