T.T.I's vs. ........you be the judge

-

7demon2

Registered User #1824
Reaction score
many time i have seen questions on here in reguards to headers. namely t.t.i.'s. i had remembered an article that i had read along time ago that may help some of you here. this article was done by mopar muscle magazine. it is a pretty good article that may help you make an informed decision. i am not trying to sway anybody here or push one brand vs. another. i am just trying to give you some more information. here is the link to the original article

Follow link.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/155_0307_mopar_crate_engine_exhaust/index.html

good thread, thanks for the info. i didn't remember that article in mopar muscle. that makes want to get a set of tti's a lot quicker than summer time. :thumbup:

Very nice thread, it should help with anyone trying to make a decision about who to go with. I know I am just saving up to I can buy a set and for once not hit my drivers side header tubes on the ground anymore on certain types of roads.

Awesome read. I have decided to go with their new early A Body headers from TTI for my 64 Dart.

Question I am stuffing a 416 stroker 340 in the Dart. What size exhaust pipes and what is the deepest best sounding muffler to use? I know it is an opinion thing, but I really like a deep sounding strong sound, not a raspy tin sounding exhaust. A little on the load side is OK too!

So what is the best performance / sounding muffler out there and what size 2.5" or 3" ?

Good read, I would have like to see the tests run with a more 400 horse motor. The expensive 340 manifolds dont seem to be worth it now do they ?

djwhog said:
Awesome read. I have decided to go with their new early A Body headers from TTI for my 64 Dart.

Question I am stuffing a 416 stroker 340 in the Dart. What size exhaust pipes and what is the deepest best sounding muffler to use? I know it is an opinion thing, but I really like a deep sounding strong sound, not a raspy tin sounding exhaust. A little on the load side is OK too!

So what is the best performance / sounding muffler out there and what size 2.5" or 3" ?
2 1/2 inch is fine. the dyno max mufflers that tti recommends sounds great. nice and deep.

We have a Challenger with a 360 block, it has 2 1/2 " pipes with Dynomax mufferls and sound nice, it has the headman headers which were a ***** kitty to install and had to make a special linkage arm for the column shift. When the headers (if) go they will be replaced with the TTI kit. I've heard both from sources like this and guys personally who have them that Ill not buy anything else again. I also have a B-body 440 with Hooker headers, it was not a bad fit but they hang so darn low, but not as low as the Headman do on the Chally. Yes quite a bit more money but most likely worth it, BTW, anyopne changed a starter with other headers, now that is a cussing event. LOL.

better watch posting pics fron that magazine... you may get a threatening e-mail from those idiots...:)

It has been brought to my attention that you have violated copyright laws by posting articles from Mopar Muscle Magazine on various forums. Please refrain from doing this. Every article and photo in Mopar Muscle is copyrighted and protected. It is Primedia's policy to protect our property. Further unauthorized use of Primedia property will be handled by our legal department. Thank you for your cooperation.

Jim Foos
Publisher
Mopar Muscle, Corvette Fever, Vette,
High Performance Pontiac
Managing Publisher
The Barrett-Jackson Experience
Muscle Car Review

9036 Brittany Way
Tampa, Florida 33619
[email protected]

The only problem I have with that article is the power level of the engine used for the test. At 300 HP, it is a docile street engine.
Though I'm not surprised the tti's made more power, being a stepped header with the small primary tubes up front at the same size as the cheaper street headers. (1-5/8) And then opening up. It's the use of the larger pipe headers that are really suited for a race engine. Or one serious street engine.

One would be lead to believe that the larger tube header is not a good one and worse than the tti. Headers are something that should be sized for the powerout put of the engine. Most people know this. Not everyone reading this may not know it.

Though it is better to error on the side of caution, the tti would fit the bill in 90% of the cases out there, the larger tube vs the tti in this case is a bad comparo on this power level. But should stop the over zelous from the mistake of bigger is better chain of thought.

Like Adam said, I'd like to see the test on a 400 HP engine as well as a 500 HP engine. How do the tti's stack up vs. the super comp headers?

Other questions can be brought up and comparos sought.
Where does the large tube header make more sense to use?
Will the next step up in the tti tube size make more sense to use and will it make more power than the single size super comp header?

In the above comparo, is the price of the tti worth the expense over the street header in terms of power? The single issue of ground clearance is a problem solved by the tti header. It is a shame the other companys have not made a header that clears like a tti does. But is it worth the expense?
I'll tell ya changing out the street header is a pain and makes anybody who has done it mad. Strike that. Madder than hell.

Things that make you go hummmmmmmmmmmmm.

(Yea, The link was good enuff to post.)

The problem with the TTIs is that if you need bigger then the 1-5/8 to 1-3/4 stepped header your out of luck. They have a 1-7/8" tube but they are for W2 heads.

yikes !!
well, if it makes that publication happy, i'm a subscriber and i bought my tti's based on that and other fine reviews.
my super comps were flat on the bottom so when they came off the car (with more effort than it shoulda taken) i knew the tti's were for me. no drag link removal, no clearance issues, excellent materials. marvelous!!

abodyjoe said:
better watch posting pics fron that magazine... you may get a threatening e-mail from those idiots...:)
thanks for the warning. i meant no harm to them. i give them full credit for the article. it was only meant to help, as they did a great job with it. sorry mopar muscle forgive me, it won't happen again!

It's so sad, but it's true. In this day & age we have to appoligize for doing a good thing. Give someone a pat on the back and get a kick in the nuts for your troubles.:angry7:

Thanks for posting the letter Joe. As scarey as it is, it's a good fight to advoid....[-X

Guys, I removed the pictures to keep from having problems. Just follow the link to the web site.

thanks for looking out for me there adam. i guess in the long run this is the safest thing to do. well maybe i could have just posted the link and the chart at the end......oh well i tried.

AdamR said:
The problem with the TTIs is that if you need bigger then the 1-5/8 to 1-3/4 stepped header your out of luck. They have a 1-7/8" tube but they are for W2 heads.

Thus the problem. The 414 stroker going in the Duster has well over 500 hp and very, very, massaged Eddy magnum heads. I could probably bring myself to pay the price for the tti's since they certainly wouldn't be the first thing I've bought that I didn't think was worth the money, but in this case, they simply don't have the product that I feel I need to get the most out of the stroker. Choices definitely appear limited.

I will be getting my 360 back soon from being built by Joey Arrington. For those of you that do not know who he is, do a google search on him. You will find that he is one of the, if not the best authority on MOPAR small blocks in the world.

The engine he is building for me is going to produce somewhere near 590 horsepower. And guess what... it will be set up to run the TTI 1 5/8 - 1 3/4 stepped tube headers at his recommendation. The same headers that you guys are questioning for use with higher horse power engines.

TheDemonator said:
I will be getting my 360 back soon from being built by Joey Arrington. For those of you that do not know who he is, do a google search on him. You will find that he is one of the, if not the best authority on MOPAR small blocks in the world.

The engine he is building for me is going to produce somewhere near 590 horsepower. And guess what... it will be set up to run the TTI 1 5/8 - 1 3/4 stepped tube headers at his recommendation. The same headers that you guys are questioning for use with higher horse power engines.

No need to google. I know who Joey Arrington is as well as his "infamous" dad Buddy. What specifically is he doing to "set up" the engine to run 1 5/8 - 1 3/4 step headers?

FASTBACK340 said:
It's so sad, but it's true. In this day & age we have to appoligize for doing a good thing. Give someone a pat on the back and get a kick in the nuts for your troubles.:angry7:

Thanks for posting the letter Joe. As scarey as it is, it's a good fight to advoid....[-X

they probably wouldn't have done anything because nothing negative was said but your better safe then sorry.. those clowns sent me that e-mail when i posted the early a-body tti article here... i posted it to show you guys the actual article and how the headders fit .but happened to mention how i thought they talked right around how the starter is an issue.. well i guess they got bent out of shape because i didn't kisse their *** and they sent me that e-mail while at the same time you can goto many sites that they surf and see pictures of their articles just about any given days... what a bunch of clowns....

TheDemonator said:

Sweeeet and I have a quesion for you.

The same headers that you guys are questioning for use with higher horse power engines.

Is this directed at me? Doesn't it make sense to question it? Even more so because I have not seen it done.
Whats the big deal?
I think I brought up vaild questions.
I'd like to know.

(I feel attacked from you due to Arrington's recomendations.)

While I'm not going to challenge his recomendations, I wonder, is it best to use them in every application? Are the better at the track for every combo? Would a larger single size tube do better?

I don't know, but it's worth asking. Cold hard facts will do. No matter who the builder/racer/manufacturer is.

No, Rumblefish... it is in no way an attack on you! There just seem to be a lot of folks that don't think the "standard" tti's would do well on an engine over 300 horses.

According to what Mr. Arrington told me, The tti 1 5/8 to 1 7/8 stepped headers pull equal or better horsepower and torque numbers through the entire rpm range from idle - 9500 rpm. They are equal to the bigger tube headers on the top end from 6500 rpm and up. But the throttle response and acceleration numbers are superior up to 6800 rpm.

Of course, I will have to see for myself once I get the stuff into my car. But coming from someone that has done this for a living for a whole lot of years... I will take him at his word.

Someone else asked what he was doing to the engine. He took my 74 360 block and reworked it basically into a race block with a Jesel roller valvetrain. Then he made a pair of one off heads from castings and prepared a matching Wilson intake manifold. I am waiting to see the dyno sheets and flow numbers! It will basically be a "detuned" NASCAR/Sprint Car engine. The beauty of it is that it is supposed to run fine on pump gas.

Would be interesting to hear more about the build and dyno numbers. The track will tell all of course.

-
Back