T5 Five speed slant six 74 Dart Sport.

-
No I get it and I agree to a certain point. The trick is to not puss out on the gear, like Chrysler did. They used the 3.23 and the 3.55, both of which are sorry gears for an OD transmission. More like 3.91 or 4.10.
My Spirit of ‘76 Dart Lite had the A833 OD with 2.76 gears from the factory! Without a doubt, the slowest car I ever owned, even compared to my 86 D-100 with a Slant and A833 OD, but at least that one had 3.91’s.

A 3.91 or 4.10 would be good and still deliver decent highway rpm with the A833. With a 27" tall tire and a 3.91 gear, you would be almost 2600rpm at 75mph; about 2700 with a 4.10 with the A833 overdrive. With my slightly smaller tire (26.85") and the slightly better .68 overdrive, I turn almost 2300rpm to do 75mph; engine sounds very happy there. It used to turn about 3300 for 75mph before. I drove it two hours to the Don Garlits Mopar show last weekend and got 30mpg holding 75mph the whole way. I am unaware of what the other gears in this transmission are, besides 4th of course. Just did some math to figure out what OD was and haven't gone any further. This transmission was in a 65 Mustang that kicked the driveshaft out at 150mph, but only cracked the output housing. Guy decided to upgrade to a TKX instead of fix the T5. He said the T5 had an upgraded gearset, was rated for 400hp, and cost him $3500 at the time he bought it.
Correct, and yet, when you tell people that, they still wanna curl up in a ball and get in their safe space. I have a 4.11 gear I just installed in my ford 9" slated to go under my 64 Valiant with a Ford T5 five speed. With the .68 OD ratio, I will have a 2.79 final drive ratio. My plans are to run a 245 60 14 rear tire so it will have some height to it as well. Should be really nice with the hot slant 6.

My Spirit of ‘76 Dart Lite had the A833 OD with 2.76 gears from the factory! Without a doubt, the slowest car I ever owned, even compared to my 86 D-100 with a Slant and A833 OD, but at least that one had 3.91’s.
....and I bet that thing would have gotten much better mileage with a 3.55 or even a 3.91 and no matter what you do, you cannot make some folks understand that. Are you listening, @greymouser7 ? Some folks think the lower numerically you go with gear ratio, the better mileage you get and that's just not true at all. If you get an engine so far out of its optimal operating range, you ruin any chance of good economy, not to mention decent power. With that 2.76 gear, I bet you were downshifting with the slightest head wind. That had to SUCK.

....and I bet that thing would have gotten much better mileage with a 3.55 or even a 3.91 and no matter what you do, you cannot make some folks understand that. Are you listening, @greymouser7 ? Some folks think the lower numerically you go with gear ratio, the better mileage you get and that's just not true at all. If you get an engine so far out of its optimal operating range, you ruin any chance of good economy, not to mention decent power. With that 2.76 gear, I bet you were downshifting with the slightest head wind. That had to SUCK.
That is what killed the 700R4 in one of my S10s. .7 Overdrive, 3.08 gears with a 26" tall tire. I couldn't drive around town in OD. Would barely tip in just to accelerate and it would shift out of it; sometimes down to 2nd if I leaned in too far. Only turned 2000rpm to do 70mph. Wore itself out constantly shifting up and down. That trans lasted 50k miles. My dad's 1994 Chevy 1500 on the other hand has 27.5" tall tires, a 4.10 gear, the same .7 OD, and is turning 2500rpm to do 70. I replaced the transmission at 350k miles. Replaced the engine at 798k miles, and then the transmission again at 900k. That big truck with a 4.3l V6 gets 25mpg on the highway. High gears are fine for a three speed or non-od four speed, but not for an od trans. Hell, I had an 80s Monte Carlo with a 2.19 gear and a three speed auto.

Had to stay in first until 25 mph, no tach but it was screaming for a slant, then it lugged in 2nd, never felt like it would recover from a shift.

Anyone that reads the ratios knows that the 833 OD is not a performance transmission
Again absolutely true
When shopping for transmission for my combo, I found out a few things;
The 2.47 low 4-gear was not gonna work at all.
the 2.66 was not much better. I needed more on the bottom and less on the top.
So I started throwin all the chunks I had at the 2.66, until I found a First gear that I really liked,
Then I threw other chunks at it until I found what the engine liked to cruise at.
Then I calculated the ratio spread I needed, or hoped for.
What I found was that the engine liked to cruise at not much less than 2200, and I liked a starter gear of about 10/1.
To cruise at ~2200 requires a final drive gear of about 2.76
So the total spread was from 10.0 to 2.76 which is
10/2.76= 3.62.

To run the 2.66 box to get a 10/1 starter requires a 3.76gear, rounds to 3.73s. so the spread is (2.66 x 3.73)/3.73= 2.66 so obviously at only 73% of what I need, that will never work.
And; to run the 3.09 overdrive at 10/1 requires a 3.23 rear gear, which makes top gear 3.23 x .73 =2.36, so the spread is
(3.09 x 3.23)/2.36=4.23 which is 16.8% too big

So I latched on to the '78 GVod. with the 2.66 box, to get 10/1 starter requires 3.73s again, making overdrive into 2.91s
So the spread is (2.66x 3.73)/2.91 = 3.57, daym that's close so I bought one installed it and loved it.
For the keckuvit, I installed a 3.09low, Command box and 3.55s
This made the starter 10.97, and the cruiser 2.77, and the spread is now, 10.97/2.77=3.96 which is even more fun. That was around 2004, and there's no going back cuz I sold everything bigger than 3.55s, except a set of 4.88s.

I ran this box with 3.23s and a smaller torquier cam and she loved it. The starter was 9.98 and the cruiser was 3.52, so the spread was
9.98/2.52= still 3.96 of course, but 65= 2040

For chits and giggles I installed that GVod behind my 833od for like a year or two, with various gears, and ended up with 3.55s. That made a starter of 10.97 and a double overdrive of 1.97, a spread of
10.97/1.97=5.57 This made 65= 1600 annnnnd the small-cammed 367 pulled it!
I highly recommend to all you gear-bangers to just once in your life do this with a Thermoquad , and floor it from 55 mph with the windows up so you can hear that mighty 850 roar, and roar, and roarsumore ............................ , cuz you'll run out of power long before you run outta revs, lol. By the math, 120mph is still only 3000rpm.
I ended up running that combo with 4.30s, for the sweet parade gear of 3.5mph=580 rpm.

Correct, and yet, when you tell people that, they still wanna curl up in a ball and get in their safe space. I have a 4.11 gear I just installed in my ford 9" slated to go under my 64 Valiant with a Ford T5 five speed. With the .68 OD ratio, I will have a 2.79 final drive ratio. My plans are to run a 245 60 14 rear tire so it will have some height to it as well. Should be really nice with the hot slant 6.
Is there any guesstimate of speed (or high speed DURATION) limitation with the 4.11 axle gears whem the final drive is roughly 2.8? Is there a necessity for higher frequency interval for axle maintenance (like drain/fill gear oil intervals) or concerns for bearings? Thank you. Thanks for all of your help and effort. I hope that you and Kitty are doing well!

Is there any guesstimate of speed (or high speed DURATION) limitation with the 4.11 axle gears whem the final drive is roughly 2.8? Is there a necessity for higher frequency interval for axle maintenance (like drain/fill gear oil intervals) or concerns for bearings? Thank you. Thanks for all of your help and effort. I hope that you and Kitty are doing well!
Dumb it down for me brother.

Dumb it down for me brother.
20 years ago i bought a 73 satellite with a swapped axle. the seller/ previous owner said that I shouldn't drive long distances at 80 mph because it was a 4.11 geared axle, and that it couldn't take it regularly (driving an hour south to jacksonville, fl) and back daily...

20 years ago i bought a 73 satellite with a swapped axle. the seller/ previous owner said that I shouldn't drive long distances at 80 mph because it was a 4.11 geared axle, and that it couldn't take it regularly (driving an hour south to jacksonville, fl) and back daily...
Oh well, with an OD and a 4.10 the final drive is dependent on the OD ratio. Lets just say it's .68 since that's very common. That means in OD, your rear gear is effectively a 2.78. So yeah, that can cruise the rest of your life at 75MPH.

axle should handle it just fine, but 4.11's without OD and a 27" tall tire, 70MPH is 3600 RPM, which if the exhaust is somewhat loud could be very fatiguing, and running an engine at that speed for that duration would be insanely fuel inefficient, and I guess could shorten the life of the engine (time wise)

my duster with 25" tall tires, stock 1bbl slant6, OD and 3.23 got it's best mileage at 60mph (about 30mpg) (about 1900 RPM). 65 it drops down to 27-28, 70MPH more like 25-26.

The main reason is I couldn't find one at a reasonable price, and for what my engine is and how I drive, the gearing in the A833 is subpar at best. The other thing is, with the T5, I have four gears to have fun in vs. only three. And then highway cruising on top of that. I've never dyno'd it, but I would hope I have at least 200hp out of it. Long rod 225, 10.25:1 compression, Clifford cam, header, intake with a Holley 390 double pumper. The head is stock, but I have another that I'm building for it. As it was with the three speed, the car was in the 14s in the 1/4 mile.

That looks like a very nice piece. But I don't think my wallet thinks the same way. I drive this car every day; it is my only vehicle and sees up to 100 miles per day on average. I've gotten adjusted to how it is, but I would like to get the seat notched around the shifter. Seat needs some new springs anyway, might as well have that done while it's at the shop. Only problem being I need another car first.
all fair points. for the shifter, you might be able to take it apart and heat up the lever and bend it forward about 45 degrees and then make a custom upper handle....trying to remember what those levers are made of (I worked at the company that made the shifters for BW, Tremec, and NVG 20-25 years ago... *THINK* it's 12L14 steel)

my duster with 25" tall tires, stock 1bbl slant6, OD and 3.23 got it's best mileage at 60mph (about 30mpg) (about 1900 RPM). 65 it drops down to 27-28, 70MPH more like 25-26.
....and that's the "magic number". "Right around" 2000 RPM, give or take. It's a little different for every combination, but that's the general neighborhood.

Yup since Gill Welding makes T5 adapters with that bolt pattern. Hay, @WarHammer we're talkin about yall again. lol
Maybe my mind is fuzzy today, but the T5 and the slant seems like a great combo. Can't that T5 be sourced used plenty cheap, even cheap enough for the slant crowd!!???? I have 3 of those slant bells for sale!!!! :thumbsup: :poke::popcorn:

The T-5 came in different ratios too. I thought that the 5.0 Mustangs had a version with a deeper 1st gear than the Camaros that used the T-5.

Maybe my mind is fuzzy today, but the T5 and the slant seems like a great combo. Can't that T5 be sourced used plenty cheap, even cheap enough for the slant crowd!!???? I have 3 of those slant bells for sale!!!! :thumbsup: :poke::popcorn:
They can still be found relatively cheap if you search hard enough. Might still find a fox body or sn95 Mustang in the junkyard with one. Although my engine is not stock, I have been loving this conversion behind the slant in my car.

They can still be found relatively cheap if you search hard enough. Might still find a fox body or sn95 Mustang in the junkyard with one. Although my engine is not stock, I have been loving this conversion behind the slant in my car.
hard to find anything older than late 90's/early '00's in junkyards around me....

hard to find anything older than late 90's/early '00's in junkyards around me....
Thats for darn sure..... wife and I drove (OK so I drove while she had a death grip on her door handle) 13 hours two days ago to go to a boneyard with nothing but old stuff, several hundred cars. Picked up our stuff and back on the road. There and back and thru D/FW metroplex is no joyride for us old people!!
Damn 18 wheelers!

I think you're missing the point.
The deep first gear is followed by a second gear about half the ratio. The rpm drop from 1 to 2 is tremendous. For stock engines with a wide torque curve, this is fine. For an engine with a narrower power band, (Like most 340s or 360s with a long duration cam) the shift to 2nd puts the rpms at the bottom of the torque curve instead of in the middle of it. Close ratio transmissions are ideal for performance engines. The 833 OD is fine from 2nd through 4th/OD if you have some decent axle gearing. The OPs slant six would do fine with a 3.23 or 3.55 gear and this T-5 transmission as well as an 833 OD.
The S10 T5 trans has a deep.first gear like the A833OD. Good to get rolling. Kind of like the old truck 4 speeds with the deep low gear.

Thats for darn sure..... wife and I drove (OK so I drove while she had a death grip on her door handle) 13 hours two days ago to go to a boneyard with nothing but old stuff, several hundred cars. Picked up our stuff and back on the road. There and back and thru D/FW metroplex is no joyride for us old people!!
Damn 18 wheelers!
"Profesional" does not exactly pertain to truck drivers any more. But then they spend long hours on the roads dodging complete imbiciles so they do not get tied up for hours writing accident reports and going for a piss test even when it was not their fault.

"Profesional" does not exactly pertain to truck drivers any more. But then they spend long hours on the roads dodging complete imbiciles so they do not get tied up for hours writing accident reports and going for a piss test even when it was not their fault.
Bad part is so many 18 wheelers going down Tx I45. 6-7 on a row then I come up on them, all of a sudden one wants to pas the others and he is doing all of 1 mph faster then the rest of them!! But of course he has to jump out in front of us.

Then ther are the soccer moms going down he left lane with cruise on and doing the speed limit. Get out of my way I am HAULING ***!! This is Texas ya know ! Pilgrims!! :thumbsup: :BangHead:

I'm old, sore, hurt, woreout and have to pee a lot. I used to lve o go, but I hate it if I have to go farther than 1 or 2 hours away.

-
Back