Tach Drive Distributor ID

-

d55dave

Reaction score
So I need some help ID'ing this distributor. It cam with the '50 Dodge that I just bought. It is clearly a small block tach drive distributor (I compared the shaft length to a know small block distributor). I will be selling it, but this is not a for sale thread. I want to gather any info that I can on it before selling it.

It appears to be brand new, has a Ford style (I think?) cap, is electronic, no vacuum advance and feels like it has light mechanical advance springs.

Has anyone seen one of these before, is it desirable? I assume that it is a tach drive, but perhaps the drive is for an industrial or marine application? Any ideas?

IMG_20191014_160317.jpg

IMG_20191014_160323.jpg

IMG_20191014_160329.jpg

IMG_20191014_160342.jpg

IMG_20190929_152159.jpg

That is the Mopar small block tack drive distributor with an MSD cap-a-dapt system installed. MSD sold that adapter and rotor kit to allow spreading the wires further apart to help eliminate cross firing with the closer spaced small distributor caps. Also has male wire receivers to have a more positive wire connection versus the push in style small Mopar wires.

Advance is pretty much all in at high idle.

P4120701 Small Block Mech Tach drive

Last edited:
That is the Mopar small block tack drive distributor with an MSD cap-a-dapt system installed. MSD sold that adapter and rotor kit to allow spreading the wires further apart to help eliminate cross firing with the closer spaced small distributor caps. Also has male wire receivers to have a more positive wire connection versus the push in style small Mopar wires.

Advance is pretty much all in at high idle.

P4120701 Small Block Mech Tach drive
Hey, thanks! Is this still available new, or desirable?

No longer available new. It is more of a a race oriented distributor. I used one for race and street strip and it worked well for my setup.

6AB50050-C551-43F4-AC08-E5EAA2E973B5.jpeg

I would have killed to have had one of those back in the day. I actually had a "machinist" (hack) modify a Chev corvette breakerless tach drive to fit a SB Mopar. Back then I never got it to work right, before the internet, likely all that was wrong was rotor phasing LOL

I believe a member on here bought it.

I got 7 of them....lol.....

great distributor.....

I have 2 for my motors and the tachs, It's a great dist.

eBay you might find them, the cables can be made by any semi repair shop

"I actually had a "machinist" (hack) modify a Chev corvette breakerless tach drive to fit a SB Mopar."
Kinda like this..
100_1192.JPG
100_1193.JPG

^^Very similar^^ The adapter we made was cut from the bottom of an old single point Chrysler dist.

d55dave, I tried to message you. if you clear some inbox room I will send you some more details on these distributors and their installation

-
Back