Tach problem

-

Tandrayray

Reaction score
I have a 1970 plymouth duster (valiant)
Im trying to install a tech on a 318 with points
Edelbrock intake that the coil is bolted to...
I have ordered two different tachs from different companies
Changed the wires, .... Help me out

I'm getting power but tach will not read. Green wire is on the negative on the coil, red 12v pos. Black 12 negative. What am I missing.

The thing should work

You say you have it hooked to NEG side of the coil? Is the NEG side of the coil hooked to distributor?

I would double double check your wiring. Make sure you have a good ground and power to the tach. Most tachs, when you switch on the key, will "bump" the needle a bit

What are the makes and models of these tachs? Links?

No the neg side of the coil is going in to a harness and the pos to the distributor... I read on here that you can hook them up backwards and the car will still run is that right?

Is there a switch on the back? 2/4/5/6/8 cylinder select. Almost all use green as trigger off negative post of coil. Black and red are - and + with white as a light.
guide-13500-01.jpg

Only time you hook to harness is if you have some sort of DIS or COP where the ecu is triggering the tach, like an mad or Mallory or CD ignition. Don't put tach on cdi (even edis) coil or you'll see multi spark.

No, pos comes from ignition, neg goes to dist. switch it and your car may run better.

No the neg side of the coil is going in to a harness and the pos to the distributor... I read on here that you can hook them up backwards and the car will still run is that right?

The car will still run, but if the NEG goes to the harness the car is wired wrong.

THE TACH must be hooked to the distributor. Reverse the coil terminals so the points and tach are both hooked to the NEG coil terminal.

Think we got it my ign is goin to my neg on my coil and the pos goes to the dist. Ok let me go swap them really quick...

Nailed it fellas the posts were switched. Small victory!!! Thanks to all y'all. Time to take her out on this beautiful Tennessee day. Thank again!!!

-
Back