tail/ brake/turn socket

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
65 dart. the sockets for the tail/brake/turn lights were froze. pentrant soaking to no avail. I got some a few months ago ( if I remember right) out of another 65 dart at buddys yard. yes, they have the black and green wires to them. cleaned up, correct 2 filament bulb slides right in. have the correct tail lite current going in the socket with the black wire, inside the socket, correct current there. yes lights up the small filament.

ok .. now.... I have the brake/ turn current going to and inside this socket. BUT the brake / turn lights up the SAME thin filament> NOT the thicker filament like it should. how in the world????? does this with both sockets...????

If there isn't a good ground then the bulb socket has 12v floating around and lights a totally unexpected filiment, thats how that happens. :)

Try a wire between the bumper metal and actual socket base metal while the light is on and see if it straightens up.

Either you have a miswired or missing connection or a ground problem to the bulbs, and the above will eliminate the ground possibly being the problem.

Put the socket back in the hole and make sure its grounding. If you are testing it while its laying there on the trunk floor it may not ground. Then it backfeeds through the other filament, and does exactly that. Its not a modern car with a dedicated ground.
TB, hit it again.

Put the socket back in the hole and make sure its grounding. If you are testing it while its laying there on the trunk floor it may not ground. Then it backfeeds through the other filament, and does exactly that. Its not a modern car with a dedicated ground.
TB, hit it again.

you call them Modern, I call them Plastic! Not much current flows thru plastic!:burnout:MT

65 dart. the sockets for the tail/brake/turn lights were froze. pentrant soaking to no avail. I got some a few months ago ( if I remember right) out of another 65 dart at buddys yard. yes, they have the black and green wires to them. cleaned up, correct 2 filament bulb slides right in. have the correct tail lite current going in the socket with the black wire, inside the socket, correct current there. yes lights up the small filament.

ok .. now.... I have the brake/ turn current going to and inside this socket. BUT the brake / turn lights up the SAME thin filament> NOT the thicker filament like it should. how in the world????? does this with both sockets...????

I had a similar problem on my 66 because I didn't watch how I put the insert back into position (had it reversed) into the socket. no matter what I did they always had the same filament lighting whether it was tails,stop or turn. drove me crazy until I remembered I had pulled them out to clean them and might have gotten them in wrong. easy to do too and I did it on all 4 of them! I converted it to all tails/stop and turn in the trunk section also on my 66.

I had a similar problem on my 66 because I didn't watch how I put the insert back into position (had it reversed) into the socket. no matter what I did they always had the same filament lighting whether it was tails,stop or turn. drove me crazy until I remembered I had pulled them out to clean them and might have gotten them in wrong. easy to do too and I did it on all 4 of them! I converted it to all tails/stop and turn in the trunk section also on my 66.

that's sounds like what could be my problem. I will check that tomorrow. I understand about the ground deal, but that same filament doing ALL of the tail/brake/ and turn stuff had me baffeled! I have had some people suggest some numbes for new socket replacement but havn't had time to hunt some. I had same problem fgew years ago trying to find sockets that fit a 72 charger, I got close but never found the correct size. I just made them work!

-
Back