tail light fuse

-

mi72duster

Reaction score
Scratching my head here....wires seem ok....every time i put in a new fuse for the tail lights it keeps blowing after about 5 seconds after I pull out the light switch....any ideas?

Need some more background about what you have done to the car before this happened.

Look for a pinched wire at the parking light and the tail light area. Have you had your car apart? Is there a wire that has been accidentally caught under something? Check all sockets, grounds, etc. Make sure nothing has fallen in or across anything.

I had the same issue once and realized when I bolted my horns on, I accidently caught a wire under the edge of the big washer and shorted out a socket.

That is the most difficult to diagnose because there are so many lamps on that circuit. Tag lamp is suspect along with the lamp wiring in the truck, radio lamp is suspect, ash tray lamp is suspect, If its column shift and has had the column mounted ignition switch replaced , the orange wire from the shidt indicater lamp is suspect.

That fuse also supplies power to the instrument lamp dimmer

AND IT FEEDS THE CIGARETTE LIGHTER

Are you sure you have the right amperage? Book says 20A

MAKE SURE the clips on the fuse are not rusted/ loose connection/ corroded

You need to start to divide the problem into sections

First thing to do is pull the left kick panel and unhook the tail harness going back to the rear, and see if that stops the problem. If so, it's in that harness somewhere

Try turning the dash dimmer all the way one way or other and see if that affects the problem.

Then go out into the engine bay and unhook the bulkhead connector which feeds the park lamps

You have a shop manual? Down one for free here

[ame]http://www.abodyjoe.com/pictures/Misc.%20car%20info/1972%20Plymouth%20Chassis%20Serv%20Man.pdf[/ame]

Had the same issue.. For me it ended up being a melted tailight socket. The plastic inside the socket had melted and grounded the circuit. Replaced the socket pigtail, solved. Was sort of the last place I looked/expected.

Grant

-
Back