Tail lights wore out

-

Bigdummy

Not a Nova
Reaction score
I bought these hoping to help.The lights are dim.

20190115_100012.jpg

I understand. People don’t really look with older cars. I went digitails in my Demon for that very reason.

Please let us know how well they work. I have the understanding that you may have to change the flasher to the LED type for the turn signals to work. Some say yes,others no.

What I did was to look up the lumens on my tail and stop lights, then I found led lights that exceeded the factory lumen spec. It takes some time but in the end you'll have brigher better lights. Treblig

Other than buying a high quality set of LED’s with a higher lumen output, you should take a look at the reflectors in the tail light housings. The reflectors can accumulate dirt and corrosion over time, which will dim the lights. A good cleaning may help, but if they’re corroded you can also repaint the reflector area with a bright aluminum or “chrome” paint to restore the reflector surface. The more light the reflector in the housing reflects the brighter the lights will be.

Besides having brigher tail/stop lights to keep idiots from ramming you from the rear ...the brighter more efficient lights take a load off the wiring and fuse box. Since these old cars had weak electrical systems they need all the help we can give them. That's why so many of us go to headlight relays.Treblig

Check the grounds and the contacts in the socket. Also if you leave the front signal light bulbs as incandescent, a regular flasher will work. Only problem is, if the front signal burns out, your back LED bulb won't flash. An electronic flasher is cheap and directly replaces the original.

Cley

Check the grounds and the contacts in the socket. Also if you leave the front signal light bulbs as incandescent, a regular flasher will work. Only problem is, if the front signal burns out, your back LED bulb won't flash. An electronic flasher is cheap and directly replaces the original.

Cley

I think the electronic flasher units are worth getting even without LED lights, because they flash at a steady rate instead of slowing down at idle when the system voltage is lower like the original style.

They have more less than the one I bought it only has 13 and thos have 15

Remember that LED's are very focused, so, if you're using them with the regular housings it matters which directions the bulbs point, not just the number of bulbs. These bulbs will outperform the ones you have, despite have far fewer diodes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HWS7XGW/?tag=viglink21494-20

These are another good choice, and you can get these in white and amber for the other signals https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-ZEV...T8CZDM7HSW27&refRID=CFVH25NDT8CZDM7HSW27&th=1

I think the electronic flasher units are worth getting even without LED lights, because they flash at a steady rate instead of slowing down at idle when the system voltage is lower like the original style.
Interesting I completely rewired my car, no dim lights, but the flasher is slow, doesn't speed up or slow down at idle. Wondering which flasher I need ??

Interesting I completely rewired my car, no dim lights, but the flasher is slow, doesn't speed up or slow down at idle. Wondering which flasher I need ??

You will see some that cost more than others that say they are for LED lighting, but in my experience any of the true electronic flashers work fine with LED's or incandescent either one because they flash via an electronic switch instead of by amp load.

Like this one from Autozone for example.
Novita Flasher EP50

I have to wonder if you checked your voltage at the battery while the car is running at fast idle. It should be close to 14.2 vdc if everything is up to snuff.

I have to wonder if you checked your voltage at the battery while the car is running at fast idle. It should be close to 14.2 vdc if everything is up to snuff.
I just put in a new engine and A 100 amp 1 wire.Its putting out the juice but havent realy cheked to see if the lights worked better.when I pulled the regulator off when swapping engines I opened the regulator and it wasnt working properly(brokeded wire)!But in the day and age of let's blind each other I got the LEDs incase.Thanks for everyone input....

You cannot just throw in a 100 amp alternator without addressing wire upgrades, relays etc. or you have the potential to burn up your harness, cause a fire or more.

You cannot just throw in a 100 amp alternator without addressing wire upgrades, relays etc. or you have the potential to burn up your harness, cause a fire or more.
Yep.That wire to my battery was a pain with being thick.My health is bad and I have a friend helping me be wire my car and asking some stuff.Great input and advice Thank you!

-
Back