tailshaft bushing

-

mr.318

Reaction score
i need to replace the tailshaft bushing in my 904 trans.my manual say's theres a tool to remove it i can't find one anywhere anybody ever replace theres before if so how did u do it?

The tool their refering to is a bushing driver. Bushing driver sets are sold through tool vendors (Snap-on, Mac, Lisle, etc) but you may have trouble finding a set with the right size you need. I haven't done a 904 but have done several 727's and with them I just found a heavy wall piece of pipe that was about .010-.030 smaller than the OD of the bushing and used it to drive out the old bushing. Then to drive in the new one I laid a thick washer I had on it and drove it in using the pipe again. Just make sure it's centered perfectly or you can damage it real easy.

If you can find a bushing driver set that will work and can afford it it'll sure make things alot easier and ensure you don't damage the new bushing. The way I do it is the poor mans way.

yea i found the bushing tool but it's in akit that fits allmakes i can't afford it 259 cheapest one i found my atsg trans. manual shows a tool that removes the bushing +installs it ,it has a part number c-3996 it don't say who makes it works without removeing the tailshaft just the rearseal you removed the tailshaft right? the shop want's 150 to do it i thought that was high the bushing only cost 2 bucks the same shop charged me 80$ afew years ago to do an 727 i just thought i could do it cheaper + have the tool it's got alot of play

Your ATSG manual is just a copy of the factory service manual so that part number is the # Chrysler used way back when. I don't know who they had make their tools but whoever it was that was their part #. You definetly have to remove the tailshaft. For a shop to do it that's about right on the price now days. A few yrs. ago things were alot cheaper. Labor used to be $35 per hr. Most shops charge anywhere from $65-80 per hr. now and figure it's a couple hr. job. The part may only be $2 but it's the labor that kills you. It's not a perticular hard job, just time consuming. Don't blame you. I'd do it myself if it were mine.

Do you ever E-bay? I see trans. tools on there every once in awhile.

yea i'm gonna give it a try i got a couple of 904's laying around i was going to take the houseing off one of em first to trail an error with if i'm reading the book right you don't remove the c-clip just open it while you remove the tailshaft right?

Right. You just expand it while slipping the housing off. There's no way to remove the C-clip until you get the housing off anyway.

-
Back