Take a look at this disc brake conv. please

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well some of you do know I am looking at a few ways to get disc brakes under my 66 Valiant.
I seen these on a search I dun. [ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-74-MOPAR-PLYMOUTH-CHRYSLER-DODGE-DISC-BRAKE-CONVERSION-/161213801605?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1966%7CMake%3APlymouth%7CModel%3ABarracuda&hash=item2589176485&vxp=mtr"]1962 74 Mopar Plymouth Chrysler Dodge Disc Brake Conversion | eBay[/ame]

I do have a pair of 10" front brakes/hubs/Spindels.. that I was gifted with by grumpucreacher (I will fix the spelling D,) Ok, any advice and directions toward my disc brake direction would be very cool for the man on the hill :D Thank you all : glasses7:

That Ebay listing says 15 inch wheels req'd. I'll assume 5 on 4.5 LBP too.
You really should change to a dual line disc brake master cylinder and proportion valve too regardless what disc brake system you choose.
If disc brakes is the goal, Scarebird conversion wouldn't change your OEM bolt pattern.
Where 15 inch wheels ( w/ shorter tires of course ), large bolt pattern 1/2-20 right hand threads on all 4 corners is the long range goal... someone else will need those spindles you have and you'll need a LBP rear end.
Big wheels with short tires will cost you coins and some ride quality unless you invest more coins in shock upgrade. There I'm getting into the going instead of the stopping, which is off topic, or is it ?
Now for me personally... I guess I'm lucky to already have all the later model OEM parts to poke under my 67. If I didn't have these parts and needed to do any repair what so ever to the OEM front drum brakes, Scarebird would be my choice. Main reason is, I consider myself too old to set long range goals.

looks good to me, but it is large bolt pattern

Did you look at this also

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=293269

I will look at that thread thank you :glasses7: and I will be going large bolt pattern for sure as I go to a late model rear end :D

you'll need upper control arms with ball joints - lower ball joints - 99% of these kits come from Right Stuff http://www.getdiscbrakes.com/
Thank you dodge71 :glasses7:

That Ebay listing says 15 inch wheels req'd. I'll assume 5 on 4.5 LBP too.
You really should change to a dual line disc brake master cylinder and proportion valve too regardless what disc brake system you choose.
If disc brakes is the goal, Scarebird conversion wouldn't change your OEM bolt pattern.
Where 15 inch wheels ( w/ shorter tires of course ), large bolt pattern 1/2-20 right hand threads on all 4 corners is the long range goal... someone else will need those spindles you have and you'll need a LBP rear end.
Big wheels with short tires will cost you coins and some ride quality unless you invest more coins in shock upgrade. There I'm getting into the going instead of the stopping, which is off topic, or is it ?
Now for me personally... I guess I'm lucky to already have all the later model OEM parts to poke under my 67. If I didn't have these parts and needed to do any repair what so ever to the OEM front drum brakes, Scarebird would be my choice. Main reason is, I consider myself too old to set long range goals.
Thank you soooo very much for this great right up RedFish :cheers:
This will take time but just like my /6 build and drive for 6 years it all worked out great and this V8 transformation it will get dun aswell in time :cheers: You are the man sir :color:

I went with RMS uca's for my 66. 300 for a pair you cant go wrong. they come with balljoints and your choice of bushing or heim-type joints. Id never go back. they are fantastic.

The ebay kit in post #1 is just the 73+ factory setup. All new parts, so high-dollar, but it is getting hard to find those cars in the junkyard. Might be the best choice since you are going to BBP in the rear.

For those staying with SBP wheels, the Scarebird kit is probably cheapest and easiest. Works w/ your existing 9" or 10" drum spindles. Wilwood also has kits for either drum spindle, so also easy work, but cost is higher. Many people need to rebuild their control arms & ball joints. In that case, changing spindles is no extra effort.

The ebay kit in post #1 is just the 73+ factory setup. All new parts, so high-dollar, but it is getting hard to find those cars in the junkyard. Might be the best choice since you are going to BBP in the rear.

For those staying with SBP wheels, the Scarebird kit is probably cheapest and easiest. Works w/ your existing 9" or 10" drum spindles. Wilwood also has kits for either drum spindle, so also easy work, but cost is higher. Many people need to rebuild their control arms & ball joints. In that case, changing spindles is no extra effort.

If that ebay kit was the common a-body disc brakes it would work with 14 inch wheels.
Since it states 15 inch wheels req'd I'll assume its the larger ( 11 inch rotor ? ) setup.
And about the .gif above, Looks like only water in a oil bottle to me.

-
Back