take the ethanol out of gas by yourself

-

john27pa

74 360/904 Duster
Reaction score
a friend told me that if you buy a 5 gal beer/wine making glass jug and fill it with gas, if you let it sit awhile- the ethanol will seperate and you can just syphon out the crap and have good straight gas. Havent tried this yet, but it sounds feasible. He said it didnt sit long- just a week or 2, maybe 3. Cant remember.
Anyone try this?

Any separation that occurs is probably water that's been absorbed by the alcohol, but not alcohol.

How long would you have to let it sit for the ethanol to separate, the octane increase above 100 and lead levels to return to 1950's levels? LOL

If you add about 10% water and shake the mixture the jokenol will be attracted to the water and you can siphon out the jokenol/water mix. Not very optimal. The stuff is highly corrosive which is why carbs get destroyed.

And he knows the ethanol is gone how?? The fuel evaporates fast enough that 2 weeks later your fuel quality has diminished more than the ethanol harms it. UV rays also speed up the process. That's why you shouldn't store gasoline in clear containers.
Not to mention you have a 5 gallon molotov cocktail just waiting to happen.

Why bother, E10 is not going to cause any real issues other then perhaps a slight increase in fuel consumption on newer vehicles. We have been using it since the 70's here. If you have a real grungy fuel system it can cause some problems as it will tend to clean out all the crap. If your fuel system is reasonably clean you should not have any issues. I have never seen a carb corroded by it.

What happens, if you let your car sit 2 weeks, then drive it ?

I have a few work trucks, that sit for weeks/ months, run no different
Wouldn't they suck the settled crap off the bottom first.

023-1-1.jpg

013-1-1.jpg

How about just running 91-92 premium no ethanol fuel, we have a phillips 66 in town with 93 octane no ethanol, seems like alot of work to me. Unless you are driving your car for a daily driver it's money well spent for the few miles most of us drive our cars to just run premium.

My dart has had it in it all the time is not a daily driver, never had a problem. I do add stabel for the long winter but the rest of the time nothing at all. I could probably use 87 unleaded just as well but the e10 is .11 a gallon cheaper around here.

Above is correct, get a clear jar, fill it 1/4 way with water, mark it. add gas, shake the crap out od it , walk off for 4 hours. Figure out how much the water on the bottom has risen-% of ethonal. I quess you could do it in large clear containers, and siphon off the top.

Why not buy marine gas?

I use av gas in All my Small stuff if you wanted to boost theoctane I'd geta five gallon can go fill it with av gas then fill the rest of your tank with regular I've did it every time when i use to street race

Not to mention you have a 5 gallon molotov cocktail just waiting to happen.
Yep.......would no doubt make a big boom if the right (wrong?) things were to happen. When we were in town today, Spokane WA., the Boss seen a station that sells "real" gas. Of course, it was close to 50 miles form our house but......

Yep.......would no doubt make a big boom if the right (wrong?) things were to happen. When we were in town today, Spokane WA., the Boss seen a station that sells "real" gas. Of course, it was close to 50 miles form our house but......

Really, we have prolly 8 gas stations in town that sell no ethanol premium, one has Turbo blue on the same pump with 93 premium with no ethanol

-
Back