taking oil pans off 225 /6 engine

-

firefighter1

Reaction score
hi guys,
i am swapping out my oil pan on my '71 dart (225 /6 engine in car). the oil pan is unbolted, however i can't clear the steering arm and the k-frame in order to slide it down and out. any tricks or secrets on the easiest way of getting it out? thanks.

Are you sure that'll work? there is no clearance at all. oil pan is way too long for the space that it needs to get through. how much will i have the jack the engine up?

I would have had the engine out and the oil pan swapped in the time this thread has taken. I mean really. 20 bolts? Less? I never understood why people wanna wallow around on their back.

thanks for the sarcasm scamp. i have already unbolted and drained the oil pan. the problem is exactly what i've stated (clearance). It does not clear the steering arm and k-frame, thus I need to know the most efficient way of taking it out without completely dismantling my engine and suspension. I don't need smart comments, just help. thanks to everyone who actually helped out.

thanks for the sarcasm scamp. i have already unbolted and drained the oil pan. the problem is exactly what i've stated (clearance). It does not clear the steering arm and k-frame, thus I need to know the most efficient way of taking it out without completely dismantling my engine and suspension. I don't need smart comments, just help. thanks to everyone who actually helped out.

Regardless of the sarcasm, I was serious. Pulling the engine is the easiest way.

once you clear the k and steering... then it fits he trans... jack the engine and fight with it...

okay. i'll lift the engine then. i was skeptical only because of how long the pan is and how much i have to lift the motor in order to clear the steering arm. I was actually attempting to just take the steering arms off completely to create room.

okay. i'll lift the engine then. i was skeptical only because of how long the pan is and how much i have to lift the motor in order to clear the steering arm. I was actually attempting to just take the steering arms off completely to create room.

do you mean idler and pitman arms?? why?? lol just remove the center link...

I'm calling the part of the steering assembly by the wrong name, but if I could drop the main bar that attaches the left and right side of the steering assembly together, then i would be able to take the oil pan down without lifting the engine.

I'm calling the part of the steering assembly by the wrong name, but if I could drop the main bar that attaches the left and right side of the steering assembly together, then i would be able to take the oil pan down without lifting the engine.

that is called the center link... the arm that comes off the steering box is the pitman arm and the other one is the idler arm...

your still gonna have to lift it...

guess i don't have a choice in the matter then. when lifting the motor, do i have to unbolt the trans mount in addition to the motor mounts? thanks for the info.

guess i don't have a choice in the matter then. when lifting the motor, do i have to unbolt the trans mount in addition to the motor mounts? thanks for the info.

no you need to leave that mount so it can swing off that point

I just replaced the gasket on mine and honestly...it might be easier to pull the engine.

really? always leaks? that sucks. it seems like a pain in the ***. hey how do you take the center link off? just four bolts or is there more to it?

really? always leaks? that sucks. it seems like a pain in the ***. hey how do you take the center link off? just four bolts or is there more to it?

well it seems like if you do it the hard way (change it in the car) it will leak but if you take it out it wont!

as for the center link, remove the cotter pins and nuts holding the idler/pitman to the center link, same on the inner ball joints...

go to autozone and get a ball joint fork... like 10 bucks and they work great!

okay. i caved. i'm going to take the engine back out, even though i just got it in. is it more difficult to leave the trans in the car?

okay. i caved. i'm going to take the engine back out, even though i just got it in. is it more difficult to leave the trans in the car?

just put a jack under the trans and undo all the bolts...

and dont forget the converter bolts...

Oil pan swap was completed yesterday. Thanks for all the info and help guys. the new oil pan is on. The one things i didn't foresee was that the oil pickup was different also. I just swapped it out with another one i had lying around... few! I'm going to test fire it today. cross my fingers it doesn't leak lol. thank again.

-
Back