Taking on water in the interior

-

dman

Reaction score
I have a 74 swinger, just finished welding new floors in. I seam sealed the welds and the next day it rained hard. When I got home and opened the door, there was standing milky fluid where the low spots of the floor are. Water got in and washed some of the sealer out before it could cure. I already knew water comes in and culminates on the rocker panels, but this is a lot more leaky spots than I thought. The worst I think is right under the heater box. In the passenger side floor in the right front corner, where the firewall comes down. I've been trying to figure out where the water could be coming from. The windshield weatherstriping is going to be replaced with the windshield but I don't think it's that. Could it be something in the cowl?

All the other places I think are leaking from the roof rail weatherstriping (both sides) that looks worn out. I will be painting the floor with truck bed liner so it shouldn't make the floor rust out again but I don't want the carpet and seats to mildew from water coming in and sitting.

Also where the trim is supposed to go on the windshield was filled with bondo by the previous owner and the places I've peeled up are rusty and chipping off. My friend said I should take the windshield out my self so I can remove the rust and re paint it before the new windshield is put in. Do you think the rust will affect the new windshield? I don't even know how much it would cost to fix that if it's too bad, so I'm hesitant to even touch it right now. He also said there might be holes where it's rusty in there, letting water through. Could this be my problem? Thanks in advanced.
Dom

Could it be something in the cowl?

Yup, there is a small area on each end where water drains out and runs off behind the fender. If those drains are plugged (bettin' they are) you need to clean them out. Water can build up in there and rise up and over the lip where the fresh air box gets it's air.

Yes, yes and yes. You may have water coming in thru a rust hole in the sub-cowl area, but it is more likely that you just need new seals at the wiper posts. The kits cost about $25 and can be installed with minimal skills by following the instructions.

As for windshield gasket leaks, yes rust can lift the gasket enough to let water thru. I recommend that after replacing the wiper post seals, testing with a garden hose to see if water is still coming in. If so, then try to determine if it's low (from the sub-cowl) or higher up by progressively raising the running hose from the cowl vent (check for leaks before raising the stream to the windshield). Then if you need to pull the windshield, make sure you hit all the wire wheeled rust with something like POR15 before reinstalling the glass. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. Are the drain holes in front of the hood hinge? (as in between the hinge and the body) I just went out a looked and seen 3 holes on each side with leaves in them. found this thread too: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=233090

I have the wiper seal kit from schumacher. I got a bunch of wiper parts that I need to install and will put the seals on when I get to those. Do you think I could clean up the rust with the new windshield in? cause I don't think I'll be able to take the windshield out myself. I know it would be best to take it out first cause I have no idea what the rust looks like under the rubber and if the new one will even be able to go in. I wonder if I put some sealer where the trim goes after the windshields in, if that would be good enough.

Thanks for the advice. Are the drain holes in front of the hood hinge? (as in between the hinge and the body) I just went out a looked and seen 3 holes on each side with leaves in them. found this thread too: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=233090

The leaves need to go, if I recall, there was only one on each end on mine (pictured). I used compressed air and a little water when I did mine, they were full of crap.

Those stove pipe riser thing a ma jiggers in the link is what I was talking about. Water can fill up in there and flow over the top of those. Could also be some holes around the base of them.

Best approach IMO is to clean it all really well first and then see where you're at.

When I did mine I used a piece of brake line attached to my little blow gun tool about 18" long. I pulled the squirters for the windshield washer too. I just kept going back and forth between drain hole, squirter hole and down through the slots in the cowl until it was spotless. Then I rinsed with water, NO LEAKS.

when ya take out windsheild and fix the rust it may be worth doing this. no more blocked up drain holes.

DSCF1865_zpsce3ed9d0.jpg

crap always gets stuck in small original hole, gets wet and sits there creating rust.:banghead:

does anyone know of a leaf gaurd to put over the grill on the cowl to keep leaves out of fresh air cowling I have a 1966 dart

How about an aftermarket leaf gaurd to put over fresh air intake grill. I have '66 dart

-
Back