Tallest tire fitment on rear of Scamp

-
As you can see I barely have 1/8th inch on either side of the tire but I should be able to clearance the fender lip and trim a little bit. In the pictures above the car is sitting about an inch higher than it needs to because the 275/60-15 is about an inch higher than my current 245/40-18's So once everthing is mounted I can lower the car onto the tire and tuck about another inch into the fender well behind the skirt below are pictures of my current 245/40-18 and the clearance differences compared to the 275/60-15 above.

Attachments

• 20140703_095302.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 274
  • 20140703_095310.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 280
Thank you for those pics! It is a tight fit, but Im thinking that I may go ahead with the offset spring hangers. I also see that those tires minimum with of the rim should be 7.5", which means I would have to try to find some rims that are 15 x 8's that accept the dog dish hub caps. Not sure they are even available. Another question is are those Nitto's legal on the street?

Classic Industries sells an 8" wide Cop Car wheel with 4.5" back spacing. And yes, those Nittos are DOT legal, and really the only ones you want to daily drive on. They'll still be a handful in the rain though. I daily the Scamp on MT's and they work fine, but are much softer than the Nittos. I've gotten upwards on 10,000 miles out of Nittos, and have never gone over 5000 on the MT's.

Classic Industries sells an 8" wide Cop Car wheel with 4.5" back spacing. And yes, those Nittos are DOT legal, and really the only ones you want to daily drive on. They'll still be a handful in the rain though. I daily the Scamp on MT's and they work fine, but are much softer than the Nittos. I've gotten upwards on 10,000 miles out of Nittos, and have never gone over 5000 on the MT's.

Thank you for the lead on the wheels and your experience with those tires.

Did you use the offset hangers, minitub or anything like that to get them to fit? If they are on your car in your signature they look good!

Thank you for the lead on the wheels and your experience with those tires.

Did you use the offset hangers, minitub or anything like that to get them to fit? If they are on your car in your signature they look good!
Those are only 245/60's in the pic, on 7" wheels. I have S/S springs on the back, but am currently running 2" lowering blocks on them, so I was pretty sure the 275's wouldn't fit. I have both the relocation kit and the mini tub kit ready to be installed though. Hoping to get a 295/55 on a 10" wheel in there when we're done, but I'd be completely happy with the 275/60's.

I am running 9"x28" slick on 6.5" wide wheels with 3.5" backspacing, no offset hangers. Inboard clearance to spring is.75". The tire was hitting the 1/4 panel hook on the bottom. Solution: move rear axel back 1". We are currently running 11:52 sec., 1.52 sec. 60 ft. Absolutely 1,000% street legal. Hooks like hell, goes like hell. IMO 275 radial would be a safe size. Good luck, Tom

Got one of the 275/60-15 Nitto DR555's Mounted on a rim and on the car. Had to oder offset hangers kit because it is touching the spring. Im still going to make it fit. You can see the front of the tire is not an issue at all on the front corner of the fender. Everything is tight for sure, May have to roll the lip a little too. Might get away with it when I get the springs moved in and can move the tire in slightly more.

Attachments

• 20140807_213823.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 244
  • 20140807_213840.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 225
  • 20140807_213901.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 255
  • 20140807_214021.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 252
Man those look good on the car. I priced everything out to do this wheels, tires, spring relocation kit. It ended up not being in my budget so I have to stick with what I have right now. It is a tight fit for sure, but like you said if you roll that inner lip you may be good to go. Thank you for the update.

Keep in mind that 1/2" and especially the 1/4" on the front edge with the rocker will close up at 100mph and you will get a high pitched singing sound as they touch. I had those clearances back in 1977 and didn't find out until I was running about 110 with a sheriffs' car about 1/4 mile behind me. Couldn't stop......wore a little groove where they touched.

Holy Crap, that's a tight fit for sure!!! I'm after the same thing for my 71 Scamp - Biggest damn tire I can get! :)

Jim

Attachments

• 10530938_10154525728725437_7931810865382317385_n.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 201
Holy Crap, that's a tight fit for sure!!! I'm after the same thing for my 71 Scamp - Biggest damn tire I can get! :)

Jim

Yea right now Im in the process of installing offset hangers to get everything to fit. That has certainly been a bigger job then originally thought. But its getting there. I hope to have it back together later this week and wheels fitting right. Still waiting on one more Nitto tire. Back ordered till September. I will be picture horing it out as soon as its finished.

StraightLineSpeed, we have got to get our two avatar people together.

Have you tried a 235/70-15? It may be a little wide on an 8" rim.

StraightLineSpeed, we have got to get our two avatar people together.

Have you tried a 235/70-15? It may be a little wide on an 8" rim.

LMAO! That will be one damn good looking kid!

I myself have not looked into any tires recently. I've had to many other irons in the fire, but thank you for the heads up on that size. I'll check it out and compare a few things. Thanks

Well here it is. I still needs to roll the fenders. Have figured out how I'm going to do that. I own a Eastwood fender roller but it does not work with the dart fenders since they over lap the tire like they do. The front still needs to settle a little. the car hasn't been moved so the suspension is not settled to ride hieght. I had to install offset hangers to get everything to fit. I dont recommend the Mancini Racing stuff. It wasnt very good. I would have been better just to modify my stock stuff. It may have been less work. I still may have to do some more modifying to them if they interfere with my CalTec bars. I have not determined if thats a problem yet. The rears are 15X8 5.25bs with 7/32" spacers to get the tires off the springs with the 275/60-15 nittos. From the pictures below you can see this is by far the largest tire you can fit, and it took a good amount of work to do so.

Attachments

• 20140828_100408.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 160
  • 20140828_100428.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 152
  • 20140828_100317.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 160
  • 20140828_100539.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 164
  • 20140828_100550.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 172
Don't know how your rear quarters compare to my 67. Here is some of my ranting..........

I started out buying a pair of used Jeep wheels and tires, and called them the "interim" wheels, LOL. In other words they were temporary

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=172079

Those were 225 x 75 x R15, alleged to be 28.3" tall. Because of the offset of the wheels, they did rub on just one side on very hard cornering

Then I scored a pair of 17" earlier Mustang Bullet wheels, and ------this is where you and I have a difference of cars-----because of the Versailles rear axle and the fact that it's a bit wider, these wheels fit PERFECT, no issues---------scroll clear down to post no 19..........

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=237684

And then I scored three brand new 225 x 60 x R17, which are just a bit shorter at 27.6. These fit perfect. You can't "make" them rub. The fronts of the tires come withing 1/2" or so of the front lower fender lip. Some guys have moved the rear axle to the rear, which would help a bit

I replaced my xhvy springs with Mancini's, went with a mopar performance offset shackle kit, rolled my lips and tucked 295/50/15 BFG GT Quals in that sucker on a 8", 4.5" back space rim. No rubs but extremely close on the lips....until I hit a hard corner and marked a nice rub streak on them babies. Took those tires off right quick and went with 275/50/15 Nitto drag radials and haven't looked back. Love those tires.
I almost went the 295/50/15 Nitto's because the section width was smaller than the BFG's even though the tread width is the same but just decided to play it safe.
They don't fill out the wheel opening quite as well as the 295's but they surely are way more sticky than the BFG's.
:coffee2:

Can you run a spacer between the front hanger and the frame to get another 1/4 inch? Shoudnt be enough for a driveline change, youll just see some new flange metal. Might want to run a panhard rod (track locator?) from one shock brace across to the opposite frame rail, longer the better.

-
Back