Tallest wheel on a 72 swinger

-

Coastie

Reaction score
If im going to move up to 15" rims, whats the tallest tire i can fit under a stock 72 dart swinger with 7.25 rear?

The rims im looking at are 15x7 with 4" back spacing. Will these fit?

Rims will be fine. 26" tire is about as tall as you want to go with stock height.

Agreed but ~28" seem to work ok on the rear, no?

That said, if someone were crazy enough, they could raise up the suspension to the max on the torsion bars, have their leafs re-curved for more height in order to run taller tires all around...and this would still probably require modding the font/bottom corners of the wheel arches.

In other words, just stay with a 26" or so tire. :D

Agreed but ~28" seem to work ok on the rear, no?

That said, if someone were crazy enough, they could raise up the suspension to the max on the torsion bars, have their leafs re-curved for more height in order to run taller tires all around...and this would still probably require modding the font/bottom corners of the wheel arches.

In other words, just stay with a 26" or so tire. :D
Well if i stick with 14s, 26.6 is the tallest i can get. Idk if its worth the extra 200 for 2 new rims +200 for tires just to max out at 27!

First off, the diameter wheel you use doesn't change anything in tire height.

26 is safe in the stock location. You can easily run more, certainly up to 28" without issue, by simply spacing the front shackle back.

Last, please run the 15's. totally worth the money. 14's are outdated in both looks and size as well as tire availability.

I guess I'm not even sure what the goal might be for taller tires. Lowering the final drive ratio? Extra ground clearance? Longer contact patch? More ride comfort? Style?

Almost any of the above can be accomplished in different/better ways.

26 is safe in the stock location. You can easily run more, certainly up to 28" without issue, by simply spacing the front shackle back.

Last, please run the 15's. totally worth the money. 14's are outdated in both looks and size as well as tire availability.

Agreed on all counts...well mostly. The 15s are also way outdated in terms of looks and tire availability! :D

255-60/15's work on 15x7 with a 4.25 backspace. (27" tire) Tire to quarter lip clearance is tight on one side but that is normal with most cars. A 70 series will be taller but you might have clearance issues with the front of the wheel opening.

001.jpg

Well the rim diameter do determine avaliable tire sizes lol
I guess I'm not even sure what the goal might be for taller tires. Lowering the final drive ratio? Extra ground clearance? Longer contact patch? More ride comfort? Style?

Almost any of the above can be accomplished in different/better ways.

Agreed on all counts...well mostly. The 15s are also way outdated in terms of looks and tire availability! :D
Taller tires for looks and lowering the final ratio mostly. Id like a nice rake, and maybe not be screaming at 70+mph, and taller tires are the cheapest way to go.

How hard is it to adjust that shakle? And ive heard people say messing with the angle of the drive train components is an extremely bad idea with these cars?

Taller tires for looks and lowering the final ratio mostly. Id like a nice rake, and maybe not be screaming at 70+mph, and taller tires are the cheapest way to go.

How hard is it to adjust that shakle? And ive heard people say messing with the angle of the drive train components is an extremely bad idea with these cars?

Unbolt the shackle, install spacers, re-install. It doesn't change the pinion angle. It just moves the whole rear back. Mine is moved back 1.5", which is further than it needs to be but i'd like to eventually go to a 29" tire. Just check to make sure your driveshaft is long enough after installed.

HEre are 28's.

16378_10204960777488574_6317630999826702274_n.jpg

923146_10201040519524575_1737147150_n.jpg

-
Back