tapered plug location

-

swingin 71

Reaction score
Hi all, I have this small tapered plug that was with the rest of my tapered plugs and cant recall if it came out the block or it was a left over from the core plug kit for 318 LA. Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.
tapered plug.JPG

Looks like 1 of 2 that screws in the back of the block. Can't recall but might be one by oil filter. I'm sure someone will chime in .

Looks like 1 of 2 that screws in the back of the block. Can't recall but might be one by oil filter. I'm sure someone will chime in .

I'm aware of those larger ones at the back of the engine and the one by the oil filter this is smaller than any of those, its the size of the oil sender hole by the distributor.

Make sure that isn't the plug that goes into the drivers side oil gallery. You have to remove the pipe plug in the bell housing and access that plug. Much easier to do on the stand but it can be done in the car. Double check that plug and make sure it's there. Iveseen it left out dozens of times. Sadly, I've left it out myself.

Make sure that isn't the plug that goes into the drivers side oil gallery. You have to remove the pipe plug in the bell housing and access that plug. Much easier to do on the stand but it can be done in the car. Double check that plug and make sure it's there. Iveseen it left out dozens of times. Sadly, I've left it out myself.

Yes, I'm aware of that one, this smaller than that one, Thanks

IIRC, those are press-in not thread-in.

That may be for the block coolant drains, down by the pan rail on each side. The originals are square headed IIRC. If it came with the core plug kit, that would make sense. I think those are 1/8" pipe thread, off the top of my head.

That may be for the block coolant drains, down by the pan rail on each side. The originals are square headed IIRC. If it came with the core plug kit, that would make sense. I think those are 1/8" pipe thread, off the top of my head.
maybe - but they seem too small..
I think it's a leftover from something - I don't recall any plugs that small in any LA I have ever F'ed with

Just looked at that one it appears large diameter.

If it fits where the oil sender goes, that is 1/8 NPT.
There are no factory plugs in a mopar small block that size. It is left over from something else.

-
Back