Tapping into Radio Wires

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
1968 Barracuda

Here is a pic of the radio connector on my new harness...
I need to wire in my aftermarket radio.
I need switched power, battery power and ground.
Ground is no problem....lol - at least I can handle that.

Which if any of these can I use for switched and battery power?

Attachments

• Photo 9 Radio.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 319
get a test light or meter and find out witch one has keyd power turn key on and off .

The one (if any) that light a test light with the key in the on and accessory position for switched.
The one (if any) that light a test light without the key on at all for direct battery.

You can usually come off the cig lighter for the constant power connection, because it's right there and the stereo only uses that for memory retention. (station presets and clock time)

I asked the Wife how she wanted the new stereo wired in her 72 Dart.

1. Stereo turns on and off with the ignition.
2. Stereo does not rely on the ignition switch at all. (I like mine this way)

She picked #1 because she didn't want to have to turn the stereo off manually. (or maybe forget and leave it on)

Orange on any mopar is the dash light dimmer controlled lighting. "The other one" is switched accessory

The red wire is the accessory feed coming from the fuse block.

The orange wire is the dash light circuit, use that for gauge lights to make them light and dim with the dash lights.

If you need constant live even when ignition switch is off, splice into the cigar lighter or it's circuit coming off the fuse block. On the fuse block it's next to the orange wire circuit, with either pink or red wires coming off...

Good Luck...

Thanks guys!
I think I got it!

A little bit of surgery to the new harness and I hope to put it in the car tomorrow!

Then the dash and steering column!

Thanks again!!!

Jeff

Jeff,

I have the terminals and crimpers to put the correct ends on that wire. That way you don't have to splice into the middle of the wire. Just a thought.

Rob

I'd either use male spade connectors, or tap into the fuse box, which is just a few inches away, and usually has extra female terminals you can tap off of. I'd hate to cut into the harness.

Jeff,

I have the terminals and crimpers to put the correct ends on that wire. That way you don't have to splice into the middle of the wire. Just a thought.

Rob

Thanks - PM sent! :burnout:

I'd either use male spade connectors, or tap into the fuse box, which is just a few inches away, and usually has extra female terminals you can tap off of. I'd hate to cut into the harness.

I agree.....freaking $500 harness....I don't want to cut into it any more than I have to....

Jeff

Do you happen to have the old radio? I just cut the connector off the radio and wired the radio to it so I could easily disconnect it when I wanted. Also worked good for doing my Autometer gauges.

Jeff,

Rob

Yeah that was gonna be my recommendation. Just get a female connector and make a pigtail. Heck yeah.

....and crackedback's stuff is high quality too. Plus you ain't gotta worry about with some yahoo out to rip you off.

.......well I don't know about the yahoo part but he won't rip you off. lol

Jeff,

If you need a packard 56 male 2 way connector and pigtails off that, I can make it up and send it to you. I thought you needed to tap in before that connector and still have it plug into a factory radio... DOH!!!

Let me know what color wire and sizing and I'll see what I can do.

In the mail to you a few minutes ago. Anything else you may need, let me know!

I don't know if the deck instructions mention anything about fusing the yellow wire. I believe the deck has a 10 amp fuse in it at that end.

In the mail to you a few minutes ago. Anything else you may need, let me know!

I don't know if the deck instructions mention anything about fusing the yellow wire. I believe the deck has a 10 amp fuse in it at that end.

I'll look into that fuse.....hadn't thought of that.....that should be simple...

:burnout:

Rob, what all connectors do you have available? I still have the wiring harness to put in my rat truck project and I am sure I will need some pigtails.

Rob,

I have packard 56, weatherpack and some other standard .250 terminal blade stuff.

If you need some packard 56 stuff whipped up, let me know. I have 1, 2,3 and 4 way std packard 56 male and female terminals/housings. I just spent $200 on packard 56 crimpers... that hurt.... LOL

Maybe throw a distributor in the box as well... :)

Ok. I will see what all is on it and send you a list soon. Thanks.

-
Back