tapping oil out bore in block

-

lilredridinghoo

Reaction score
hi, just wanna ask if anybody here has made this modification.

as i´m very limited with space due to the self made headers i´m using - can only run a relocated oil filter, and have used a 90 degree adapter with that kind of screw on relocation adapter thing, (like it is sold in these sets on eBay etc.) to get the oil hoses away from headers and block.
Drawback on that combination of things: i can not switch the complete engine. If i want to pull the motor i have to pull the heads first and vise versa when trying throw a new motor in - first block than heads...

so i want to take the chance to modify the oil in / oil out thing and get rid of all that stuff, and plumping my hoses directly into the block.

i found a short describtion what to do in the "how to hot rod mopar small block engines" book from Larry Shepard.
but i wanna ask the crowd here before going wild and ruin the block

the describtion says to block the bigger oil in hole in the middle (should be 3/4x .75") and drill and tap the small oil out hole to 3/8 NPT size

so i gonna ask.. anybody done this before ?

I did this with an oil relocator system. It was a thin plate with 2 AN female sockets that bolted to the block, and there were 2 hoses that went up to the fenderwell where the spin on filter was on an adapter.

I have run the Napa 1348 short filter for clearence already, and I have blocked the center hole and taped the block 3/8th pipe. Then ran remote hydraulic lines to a Olberg filter.

We just used this Canton block mount remote filter adapter with our Spitfire headers on a 340..... just be careful to line up the inner portion for best flow.

If I was going to drill and tap, I would be sure to used swept 90 degree NPT to AN adapters, not sharp 90 degree bend adapters.

hi, just wanna ask if anybody here has made this modification.

as i´m very limited with space due to the self made headers i´m using - can only run a relocated oil filter, and have used a 90 degree adapter with that kind of screw on relocation adapter thing, (like it is sold in these sets on eBay etc.) to get the oil hoses away from headers and block.
Drawback on that combination of things: i can not switch the complete engine. If i want to pull the motor i have to pull the heads first and vise versa when trying throw a new motor in - first block than heads...

so i want to take the chance to modify the oil in / oil out thing and get rid of all that stuff, and plumping my hoses directly into the block.

i found a short describtion what to do in the "how to hot rod mopar small block engines" book from Larry Shepard.
but i wanna ask the crowd here before going wild and ruin the block

the describtion says to block the bigger oil in hole in the middle (should be 3/4x .75") and drill and tap the small oil out hole to 3/8 NPT size

so i gonna ask.. anybody done this before ?

It's the only way I do it anymore. It's clean and simple. The fewer adapters you use the better off you are.

I also did mine and used a short 3/4 bolt with a copper washer on it.

-
Back