Tax refund, where to spend it?

QA1 front end + Dana 60 or RMS/Gerst/HemiDenny front end with tax refund?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
****POLITICAL ALERT*****
People that take advantage of Govt freebies are simply acting on a basic Human nature. It takes an intelligent person to question the motives of FREE things. Nothing from the Government is ever free. The Government is not a business in the classic definition where they invest their own money to produce and sell a product. The Government is an organized "legitimate" Mafia, an organization that creates none of its own wealth but instead leeches off of the productive citizens. The Government acts as a structured "Robin Hood", taking from those that produce and give to those that do not.
Every time that I hear some couch jockey talk about FREE things, I want to punt the useless person 40 yards.

****POLITICAL ALERT*****
People that take advantage of Govt freebies are simply acting on a basic Human nature. It takes an intelligent person to question the motives of FREE things. Nothing from the Government is ever free. The Government is not a business in the classic definition where they invest their own money to produce and sell a product. The Government is an organized "legitimate" Mafia, an organization that creates none of its own wealth but instead leeches off of the productive citizens. The Government acts as a structured "Robin Hood", taking from those that produce and give to those that do not.
Every time that I hear some couch jockey talk about FREE things, I want to punt the useless person 40 yards.
Got to agree with this!!!!!

Even in buying and selling at the consumer level, I have always rejected anything called "free", even to the point of leaving to buy elsewhere. I have asked salespeople point blank, "are you trying to give me something for nothing?" If you are, then I know there's a lie built into one or more parts in your spiel and your deal.
Nothing's free and don't ask me to listen to such drivel.

A good friend of mine owns a shop across the street from me so I spend a lot of time hanging out there since I'm retired. He has several young guns working for them and Since Trump signed the executive order, stopping the penalty for not having health insurance, all they talk about is what they are going to buy with their tax refund. Guns, Gun safes,wheels,tires ,etc. I tell them, what about buying heath insurance? And they balk, and piss and moan and then one of them says and I quote," They want $125.00 a month for insurance!" At which time I lost it, I tell them I would love to pay $125.00, hell I would be happy to pay 3-4 times that much! I told them I pay $682.00 a month for just myself! 3 of the 4 have kids, one of them is 33,the others 25,24,31. To say we have a problem with today's youth is a gross understatement.

I agree to stuff the cash in a retirement fund of some sort and maybe spend 10% of it.
If you can't save the cash up with your paycheques then your spending too much on your car.
I wish I saved more in the last 15 years so I had a cushion if the jobs all run away from North america

It seems to me that none of the younger generation are interested in saving money, much less planning on retirement. When I was young, my parents were always talking about buying a home and putting money back for a rainy day.
I have talked to my kids for years, they are all in their 20's now. I know neither of them have as much as 100 in savings and the 3 of them are renting. Nothing wrong with renting when you get started, but plan for the future.

I agree to stuff the cash in a retirement fund of some sort and maybe spend 10% of it.
If you can't save the cash up with your paycheques then your spending too much on your car.
I wish I saved more in the last 15 years so I had a cushion if the jobs all run away from North america

To those of you who have actually helped with my question thank you, and I appreciate your input. To the others, what would you do if someone came into your shop, or up to you when you're showing your car and give you **** for YOUR CHOICES on YOUR CAR. You'd tell them that they can tell you how to build the car when their name is on the title. (I'm pretty sure there's a thread about that).
I suspect that I may know a bit more about my personal finances and whether I am responsible with them than anyone here.

If I wanted a ration of grief I'd go get it from my ex wife. I already have health insurance, homeowners insurance and car insurance. I sock away 15% of every paycheck in my savings, and already double up on my $306 monthly mortgage and stick $10 per bi-*******-weekly paycheck in a savings account for my 5 year old son and let the rule of 72 take care of it. Now, are you folks happy knowing more about my personal finances?

I do not have a $900/month car payment for some useless giant truck that I wouldn't dare to use as a truck by throwing an engine block in the bed which could scratch the paint in the bed. And even if I did, it's not the topic.

If I were to do something stupid, say ask for advice on a solid roller cam with high high lift short duration and it's to be used on the street, I'd expect to get stomped flat (and rightly so) by at least yellowrose if not others also. This crap I have been getting here for advice and reasoning behind that advice so I could make a more informed decision has been useless.

Now that we got that out of the way, can we stick to the topic? I asked a specific question for a specific reason. I do not need judgmental commentary on what I want to do with money I have earned by my labor. The judgement I am looking for is, 'go with X instead of Y + Dana 60 or Z crossmember because I used it and I have found that I would or would not do it again because of a, b, and c reasons.'

Damn.

Last edited:
I'll say one last thing here since your so sensitive, I don't need to ask anyone where to spend my money! Lighten up Sally!

To those of you who have actually helped with my question thank you, and I appreciate your input. To the others, what would you do if someone came into your shop, or up to you when you're showing your car and give you **** for YOUR CHOICES on YOUR CAR. You'd tell them that they can tell you how to build the car when their name is on the title. (I'm pretty sure there's a thread about that).
I suspect that I may know a bit more about my personal finances and whether I am responsible with them than anyone here.

If I wanted a ration of grief I'd go get it from my ex wife. I already have health insurance, homeowners insurance and car insurance. I sock away 15% of every paycheck in my savings, and already double up on my $306 monthly mortgage and stick $10 per bi-*******-weekly paycheck in a savings account for my 5 year old son and let the rule of 72 take care of it. Now, are you folks happy knowing more about my personal finances?

I do not have a $900/month car payment for some useless giant truck that I wouldn't dare to use as a truck by throwing an engine block in the bed which could scratch the paint in the bed. And even if I did, it's not the topic.

If I were to do something stupid, say ask for advice on a solid roller cam with high high lift short duration and it's to be used on the street, I'd expect to get stomped flat (and rightly so) by at least yellowrose if not others also. This crap I have been getting here for advice and reasoning behind that advice so I could make a more informed decision has been useless.

Now that we got that out of the way, can we stick to the topic? I asked a specific question for a specific reason. I do not need judgmental commentary on what I want to do with money I have earned by my labor. The judgement I am looking for is, 'go with X instead of Y + Dana 60 or Z crossmember because I used it and I have found that I would or would not do it again because of a, b, and c reasons.'

Damn.

The problem is, you brought up the tax refund. You should've known that was going to open up a can of worms, especially around the FABO group of self-appointed "experts." on everything known to man. You probably should've framed the question a little differently. Just my $.02.

I voted.
But I think maybe a lot of us feel pinched in the wallet about tax time, and I don't know if this year is going to be another slaughter like last year.

Having a hard time remembering what it was like to have discretionary funds, maybe a bit of envy....
My refunds for the last 15 years all went into correcting the bad $ side skid known as my former wife.
/Hank Kimball mode ON/
Well, she wasn't a WIFE, exactly, she kinda just showed up for the trophy ceremonies....
The first one where she got the coupon, and the last one where she, Ummm, well, she didn't actually redeem the coupon, but ...ugh....a whatsa Gurst Hemi Henny..
/Hank Kimball mode OFF//

-
Back