TBI vs. Carb

-
You are going to want to pull the oil pan and clean the gunk out of it. Lots of sludge, old gaskets, you name it in there since 1990.

If you do go with the carby I can say I'm having a very good run with a Edelbrock AVS2 on a 318. It's leaned a little more than the spec sheets but still performing as well as could be expected in a low comp engine with a little over 310 000 miles since last overhaul and getting an average of 10.5mpg (US) around town and 13.8 on the highway.

Too bad it's not easy to put mpfi on it! Can't blame you for yanking that out
Come to think of it doesn't Edelbrock do a MPI kit for the smallblock Chrysler? I considered it about 18 months ago when comparing a Holley TBI / rebuild a Quadrajet (Thermoquads are rare here - even rarer in good condition). If I had the money (IIRC $3k ) I would have done it myself. (or is that kit only for the LA and doesn't fit a magnum?). cheers

I had a 91 Ram 3/4 ton with that 360 setup. Ran fine, bever a problem with over 100,000 mi but somewhat a gas hog, never knew the mileage as speedo was broke> I just knew it was thirsty!

So I have the idea of transferring this driveline to an older truck but should I get over the TBI Idea and use a carb or is a TBI something that might be handy ?
Seeing as how you are in Colorado;
If the truck is to be operated at various elevations, more than 2000feet apart, then EFI would be the way to go. Cuz it has compensation for barometric pressure. And if you go with a stand-alone programmable computer, you can really dial the timing in. But if you take it that far, you might as well go all the way with Sequential Multi-Port Injection

-
Back