TCI 904 Sizzler ?????

-

Dfnsmn34

Margarita Mike
Reaction score
:banghead:

Question about the TCI part number 111338. The manufacture states that its for 1967 and up. Can anyone tell me whats the difference between the 1966 to 1967 904?

I have a 66 barracuda with a 273 that I'm rebuilding. While I'm doing that I might as well rebuild the tranny too. But the rebuilder wants $1200. The TCI Sizzler is $762. Even with shipping its still cheaper to buy the TCI. http://www.jegs.com/i/TCI/890/111338/10002/-1?parentProductId=754409

Any help is appreciated.

Aloha Mike

The only advice I can offer is : Stay away from TCI .

11 out of 10 surveyed agreed !

Do a search here on TCI they have a very bad reputation.I have no personal experience with their products but I've heard so many negative things about their transmissions that I steer clear of them.I guess there's a reason why they're way cheaper than say a B&M or your local rebuilder.

I did see one thread. But I didn't know they had such a bad rep. Hmmm. Amazing if they are that bad they can stay in business.

Mahalo!!!
Mike

Yes TCI has a terrible reputation with Mopars. I couldn't even beging to tell you how many threads I've seen on different Mopar boards abotu TCI's crap. In fact most Mopar guys like to say the initials TCI stands for Turns to Crap Instantly, LOL... There are several great Mopar trans. builders out there that'll do it for that price or less and it'll work right and last very long. Here's a direct link to a stock built 904 for less money. https://www.coperacingtrans.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=263 I guarantee John will do you right. Another great trans. guy to deal with is Chris Andrews at Andrews Racing.

If you want it to shift firmer than stock a great Trans-go shift kit is about another $60.

As for the difference in the converter, in 67 they changed the input shaft spline count.

As for how TCI stays in business producing crap it seems the GM and Ferd guys have very little trouble with them. Just the Mopar guys have bad luck.

Tci went downhill in the early to mid 90s.They were bought out,and went corporate.Quality soon followed.

TCI even has the year wrong so what does that tell you? The transmission spline count changed in '68.

too bad your not out my way, I have a 67 904 sitting in carport that was hooked up to a 273. From what I'm told they went to the big spline on input shaft 68 up. I went with a 360 and have the bigger spine 904 now.

Mahalo for all the replies and info.

Ok now how can I measure whats a "bigger" spline? I have a 904 in storage and was a wondering if it will match up to my 273? Either way I'll rebuild the one in the barracuda or the one in storage.

Aloha Mike

Ok now how can I measure whats a "bigger" spline? I have a 904 in storage and was a wondering if it will match up to my 273? Either way I'll rebuild the one in the barracuda or the one in storage.

Aloha Mike

You don't need to measure it. Just count the # of splines. 67 on back had a 18 spline count and 68 and up were 27 spline.

Aloha Mike
If you don't feel like pulling the converter out, you can also tell by the button on the front end of the converter that goes into the crank. The '67 and older 273's used a smaller diameter one than the '68 and newer. If you're keeping your early 273 crank, make sure your transmission has the small button converter if you want to be able to install it without modifications.

I did see one thread. But I didn't know they had such a bad rep. Hmmm. Amazing if they are that bad they can stay in business.

Mahalo!!!
Mike

Questions like this and no one listens, search thru here.....

Im sure you'll even find threads where i said "i told you"

I blew up 2 years ago, i bought one of there full race pos and it blew up in about a month, argued with them and gave them another chance and inspected it before instal, bolts were loose, band was out, and it also blew up on the 71 day. . .

now i only use A&A and Martin Saine, in the almost 20 years im using A&A and they are stress-fully worked out not a single issue. . . not even a leak, same with MSP for the last 7 years

Again Mahalo for the spline info and the TCI warnings.

Supershafts~ Sounds like people are listening...I asked the question and everyone confirmed my suspicions..hence why I asked the question. I'll spend the money if its the smart buy. Time for the 904 to be REBUILT!

time to check out the link to "john"

Aloha Mike
Not an excuse...but lately when I've try to do a search (tci) on the site it always comes back with nothing found....thats why I placed the question.

Even the FoMoCo and General Motors enthusiasts have had a lot of bad luck and trouble with Taiwan Crap Incorporated .
I was researching the Ford 5R55 series 5 speed auto trans (a trouble-prone trans ; solenoids crap out and the servo piston's bore wears oblong and snaps the bands) , and I saw on the Mustang Forums and Camaro Forums , etc. , etc. , where their members said the same thing : TCI = Garbage .

We've had several PTC convertors crack, they will repair but it's a pain pulling out and sending back, I've got one sitting in the floor of my garage now that needs fixed, not trying to start anything but the Cope link says 1966 up

I've got a TCI Breakaway 2500 Stall In my Dart. It does it's job, no complaints.

I've done my share of research and all torque converters get their parts from the same small pool of manufacturers. Once you cut through the gossip, it becomes clear that it's 6 of one way half dozen of the other for off the shelf converters. Custom made?? Another story.

I know I'll have my share of rabblers, I just haven't seen conclusive evidence that TCI sucks Mopar or otherwise.

Proof is in the puddin'. :burnout:

I've got a TCI Breakaway 2500 Stall In my Dart. It does it's job, no complaints.

I've done my share of research and all torque converters get their parts from the same small pool of manufacturers. Once you cut through the gossip, it becomes clear that it's 6 of one way half dozen of the other for off the shelf converters. Custom made?? Another story.

I know I'll have my share of rabblers, I just haven't seen conclusive evidence that TCI sucks Mopar or otherwise.

Proof is in the puddin'. :burnout:

If you re-read the thread you'll see we're talking about transmissions, not converters. I haven't heard many of complaints about their converters but I sure have read a bunch of complaints about their transmissions being junk.

Using a off the shelf converter is russian roulette. . . Better off spending the money on a custom specific built and by a known builder that doesn't use china crap in it...

Or if you enjoy a TC that doesn't do it exactly right or enjoy pulling the trans 2, 3 or 4 times . . .

I ran a TCI circle-track 700r4 trans behind a GM circle track 350 400hp crate engine with 4:10 gears and a spool, it would stay right below the redline all the way around the dirt track, we ran that setup for 2 full seasons (40 races), fell 10 points short of 1st place in season 2 and never had a single problem with the transmission. Just sayin.

-
Back