Technique to replace the high beam indicator bulb?

-

atomicDog

Reaction score
I'm doing some work on a 1973 Duster and noticed that the high beam indicator light does not come on when the high beams are turned on via the floor switch. I suspect the bulb is burned out in the dash. Unfortunately, I have somewhat larger hands and can't easily get to the bulb with my hand to twist it out of the cluster to change it. Does anyone have a technique they can share to get to this bulb to change it?

I am not a big guy and It it a pain, time for rent a midget!

I admit I can't do this anymore

Well the choices are simple, really.

1...Get your hand up there

2...Find someone who can

3...Pull the cluster out

4....Do like I did years ago, and drive for months at a time (in the winter) with no indicator. I don't recall having any problem "telling" if I was on high or low beams LOL

I use #4 a lot. In reality though, I pull the cluster, clean & test everything on the bench & reinstall the cluster. It usually works fine for a month or so then something loosens up and a bulb here & there goes dim... I can't win.

This may not be morally on track. but look for the smallest Asian you can find, hand him the bulb, tape him on the end of a stick and put it up in there. :D

PS_0731_LEE_CHIT_t.jpg

I use #4 a lot. In reality though, I pull the cluster, clean & test everything on the bench & reinstall the cluster. It usually works fine for a month or so then something loosens up and a bulb here & there goes dim... I can't win.
Yep! Brighten up those terminals, replace all the bulbs, clean both sides of the bezels, paint the needles! LOL

-
Back