Teeny-weeny wheel weights

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Going to replace my 20 year old front tires (195/70R14) on the '65 Formula S with a pair of Sears Guardsman (185/75R14) I purchased new (for spare tires) a few years back with date code "09". Should be good for driving around town anyway. Decided to splurge and have them balanced after we put them on the 14 X 5 1/2 SBP Rallye wheels. I asked the tire tech to place the wheel weights on the inside (if possible). One tire/wheel combo used a 7 gram/.25 oz weight and the other a 14 gram/.50 oz weight. Never saw them so close to being balanced all by themselves before.

DSC01320.JPG

I have. Rare, but it happens.
Sometimes rotating tire on rim can dial out any imbalance.
I had some super cheap crap tires i had to break and move a few times to make them balanceable. Sumbitch never did pay me for that.
Gone as far as throwing rim on balancer, marking heavy spot then finding heavy spot on tire and setting them opposite. The dot on the tire does not,i repeat does not indicate valve stem location, thats the heavy part.
F0A1EDA8-72CF-4098-A77D-73FA6335123C.jpeg

Good luck with those tires. I had a set of 4 and they were the worst tires I ever had. Belts broke in all 4 tires. I worked at Sears at the time too. LOL

Geez, a 1/4 of a ounce on a 8 year old tire you had better not drive at highway speeds. LOL Sorry, trying to be a smarty pants.
I'd say that's pretty darned close. You'll never notice. Run them till next summer and balance them again. They will be different.

I have. Rare, but it happens.
Sometimes rotating tire on rim can dial out any imbalance.
I had some super cheap crap tires i had to break and move a few times to make them balanceable. Sumbitch never did pay me for that.
Gone as far as throwing rim on balancer, marking heavy spot then finding heavy spot on tire and setting them opposite. The dot on the tire does not,i repeat does not indicate valve stem location, thats the heavy part.View attachment 1715107044
Been shopping at Greg Smith have we. Pretty darned good stuff for the price.

Im going to spring for cooper cobras when the barracuda rolls on its own.
There used to be a tire called remington,i really liked the looks of those.

Been shopping at Greg Smith have we. Pretty darned good stuff for the price.
Thats a hoffmann computerized balancer. Bought it used. The nut that holds the wheel on the spindle was smashed. Over 800 for a new one.way more than i paid for the machine. Found one on amazon,new was 50 bucks.
Its a complicated thing. I have yet to master the beast.
On a side note, the local tire shop GAVE me their old changer,after i offered to buy it. Then i sold my coates 40-40 and broke even after fixing both machines.

-
Back