Tell me what you think of this deal...

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

tnts72

Reaction score
So I took a chance on this fender and bought it from a member on here. Turns out it's not a 72 as listed. Was going to return the fender prior to having it blasted, probably should have in hindsight.... Seller has stopped responding to my messages. So I will let you guys weigh in and see what you think. Should have realized a 72 doesn't have the fender badge mounting holes... So here's the fender as it was listed

Attachments

• image.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 488
Here is what blasting revealed

Attachments

• image.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 472
Here is what the marker conversion looks like

Attachments

• image.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 464
there would be no way for the seller to have seen that and it sure looked like a 72 the way it was modified.

Most people modify them the other way ....72+ to 70/1

And some holes in the dogleg which I expected when I saw the rust bubbles. It does have the headlight bucket attatched to the fender if that's what you are referring to as the grille support

Attachments

• image.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 492
Looking at the backside of the fender was how I realized it was a conversion

Attachments

• image.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 459
My 72 scamp has fender badge holes for the valiant tag. I certainly did not buy it new, so I cannot say it's factory original. But I also can't imagine why anyone would replicate the same fugly baby craps green. So in my eyes, it must be original.

Can't really say I feel like I got my money's worth on this deal... This fender look like its worth $250 to you guys?

I think if I went to all the trouble to pull it and pack it up for shipping I would have seen that modification at least before it went in the mail.

What it's worth is an opinion, and is a moot point now as the point now is can you and the seller work it out.
Obviously it's not the year it was listed as, but a modded part.
You obviously didn't know that, but did he?
And if he says he didn't know, then what?

That's the point right there.

I would add that buying something and then listing how much was paid for it, and then asking if it was a good deal or not after the fact would be a pretty slippery slope to start down on the forum.

The Seller is a great guy with a great reputation as a FABO seller and I don't believe he knew that it had been altered. I just bought a 70-71 fender from him and it needed a couple of small patches. I'm satisfied with my purchase and paid the same as you.
If you contact him with your concerns he would more than likely adjust the price and take care of the concern.
Just my opinion of course...

Can't really say I feel like I got my money's worth on this deal... This fender look like its worth $250 to you guys?

In different parts of the country sheet metal varies greatly in price. A swap meet price and a delivered fender over the internet have different selling prices too.

Not much to arguing the price. But did it meet the condition on the description and pictures?

But there are some things that irk me about the add. Absolute type statements like "you will not fine one nicer" and "perfect dogleg and flange areas"

And caution flag to the statement "you will not fine one nicer". That is a totally meaningless fluff statement. What the seller OR buyer have seen in the past for this fender has absolutely nothing to do with the actual physical condition of the item for sale. And what the buyer OR seller have seen in the past is nearly impossible to prove with factual evidence. Totally irrelevant statement.

And some holes in the dogleg which I expected when I saw the rust bubbles. It does have the headlight bucket attached to the fender if that's what you are referring to as the grille support

attachment.php

If you could visually see rust bubbles as it was delivered to you, then it's not "perfect dogleg and flange areas"

How were the quality of the pictures? Did the seller only show pictures of the fender on the car. He could claim he never saw the inside of the fender while it was on the car. But he obviously removed it. And should have noticed it.

A buyer should ask for picture of inside and out of a part. Basically a picture covering all 6 angles and views of the part: front, back, top, bottom, both sides. You can view 3 sides to an simple object at on time. So you can show a picture of all 6 side with two well planned pictures.

I'm going to search for the ad. I've got predictions of some possible sellers.

Sounds like you had a little doubt about the fender going into the purchase. This is where you need to get better pics and better description.

The seller oversold the item. That is a fact. How to prove that? Unless it was a NOS fender pulled off a dealership shelf after sitting for 40 plus years, it would be possible for anyone to find a nicer fender (ie: a NOS one) then the one he was selling. And the patch section for the marker light? If he has sold other parts (which another post in this thread indicates), then he would know the fix that was done to the fender.

Not cool.

Yes I should have requested additional pictures! Just being new on the forum I didn't want to grill an established seller for tons of pictures. I won't hesitate to ask from now on!

Tony(whitepunkonnitro) dropped that fender to me and I wrapped it, I didn't look at the marker, I was busy form fitting cardboard. Tony gave you the option to return it two weeks ago, and you didn't, so he moved on.

150 bucks tops , and after seeing the results after blasting , now we are at 100. all that was visable from the backside of the fender. if I sold that to you and you were not happy with it, you bet your *** I would be on a mission to make you happy. that is a moral responsibility of a seller. honestly, I would have passed on that fender because of the price and the fluff job in the description

I will update this thread with the total dollar amount I have in it by the time it goes on the car... 200 on the fender / 50 shipping / 50 blasting / 70 for the self etching primer job and some minor body work. Stands at $370 currently. Will update this post over the next couple months while I get this duster sorted out. Interior and quarter patch work is first on the list.

Sort of surprised by the multiple item seller of that one. Found the ad with a simple google search as opposed to the FABO search.

At first I used the search function on FABO for 72 Duster fender. You can search Keyword(s): Duster, fender ; Forum: Mopar Exterior Parts For Sale

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/search.php?searchid=10114957

That's a search function that FABO has that many other sites do not. And you can use that to get a feel of what items are selling for and their condition. $250 seems on the upper end of the bell curve on pricing. But not totally out of whack.

Here are two ads that I feel have better pictures of fenders for sale.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=195346&highlight=Duster+Fender

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=192335&highlight=Duster+Fender

The seller of the item in the original post had it for sale for while and slowly decreased the price over time.

Tony also said he would be willing to negotiate a partial refund before he quit responding = reason for creating this post. I sent him the pictures after blasting as we agreed to, no response

I will update this thread with the total dollar amount I have in it by the time it goes on the car... 200 on the fender / 50 shipping / 50 blasting / 70 for the self etching primer job and some minor body work. Stands at $370 currently. Will update this post over the next couple months while I get this duster sorted out. Interior and quarter patch work is first on the list.

Most any used fender would need blasting, primer, minor body work. Even old NOS or repro would need primer and minor body work.

But really it's about did you get what was described and pictured.

If you overpaid for the market, I'm sorry to say, that's up to you to do research on. You could ask a question here on what to pay. Or like I showed, look up some sales history.

You are new to the mopar deal. Parts with the collector Mopar hobby are a strange entity compared to other makes. It's takes a while to get the feel and vibe of it. I empathize with you. I've seen people enter and leave this Mopar hobby over the used parts dealings for the past 25 years.

As far as Tony told me, he told you to return it...partial refund would mean the cost of the fender itself, less the shipping. He's on the road, otherwise I'm sure he would be responding.

Tony doesn't screw people. Didn't Carlisle just happen?

That said, there's an inherent risk in buying any used parts. You pays your money and you takes your chances. He saw just as many flaws in it when he sold it as you did when you bought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back