Temp fluctuating

-

gtxdude

Reaction score
Took car for quick spin tonight, temp was fluctuating above normal temp. Kept going up then dropping as I slowed down. Had car out the last two days with no problems. Wondering if fan clutch is acting up or thermostat? How do you test fan clutch? came home shut car off and was able to turn fan by hand with some resistance.

Do you have an IR temp gun? If not, you need one. They are a very affordable and handy tool. You can verify your temperature using one. I would shoot it at the thermostat, at the temp sender and the top and bottom hoses.

"Usually" the old adage is running warm on the road is lack of water flow and slow speeds or idle is lack of air flow. If any of that helps.

Have temp gun 186-187 when I got home, 180 thermostat
Keep in mind, the thermostat doesn't control how hot the engine runs. It only decides "when" water flows into the radiator. Did you take the gun with you and pull over and shoot the engine when it was running warmer to actually verify that it coincides with the gauge? If not, maybe take the gun with you next ride out. Also, go ahead and check the coolant level, belt tension and look at the front of the radiator for obstructions. It sounds like the fan is working properly.

I had a car once with an electric sensor that ran in the hot zone. I changed the thermostat then the sender and later I changed the head gasket and it still ran hot. I was talking to a mechanic friend of mine and he said how do you know that it’s hot? I then added a mechanical gauge to the car and the car never ran hot but the sto gauge said otherwise.

electric guage uses a known value variable resistor sensor 10-180 ohm or some such
the resistance of It and the wire from it to the gauge is impacted by

1) how well its threads cut through the sealnt into the head or housing
2) how well the wire connects to it
3) all of the junctions through the bulkhead connector to the gauge

a loose wire to the sender moves as the air flow through the radiator increases
if this movement causes the resistance seen by the gauge to chanage the temp recorded changes.

rsistance at any junction will cause a higher or lower reading as well.

the two things togther will see what is shown on the gauge become dependent on speed humidity and ambient temperature alongside the actual temperature of the coolant

clean and re clamp all connections and it may clear the issue

So if I'm reading this right.

You are concerned that the engine temp with a 180 deg thermostat is running at 185 to 187 and when you slow down the temp goes down?????

That seems 110% normal.

When I'm running at 75 my temp is a little higher than when I'm running at 60.

I have more wind resistance and need to create more HP to push the car through the air.

Slow down and less needed HP thus less heat.

At idle ( assuming a good shroud and proper fan etc and I am producing very little HP thus lower temps.

(Side note... If the cooling system at idle is not properly efficient the temp will rise)

BTW electronic gauges tend to react instantaneously, vs thermoelectric.

If you have ever had an electric gas gauge you may have noticed it swinging wildly as the fuel sloshes around.

You're right, 187 isn't bad. You know when you drive your car and know every creak and groan and where the gauges settle in at when going down the road. My temp gauge never climbs like that. Not terrible but out of the norm range

Since this seems to have been a new issue, some things to look at

1. Debris in your cooling system
  2. missing seals at the hood to rad support
  3. I doubt your fan or thermal clutch is the issue as at road speeds they are not helping the cooling.

When my 1985 M-B had an overheating problem, I tried using an IR gun, but never got consistent readings which helped diagnose. But, when I shot at a T-stat in a pot of hot water, it gave amazingly close readings to a thermometer in the water, even shooting thru the water. Keep in mind that its field of view used to average the IR emitted light to determine temperature is larger than the small laser spot, so you must insure the surface you are shooting covers its view (hopefully manual documents). Also, the reading can depend on the emissivity of the surface, more accurate for black surfaces, though mine (cheap HF) seems to read fine on aluminum surfaces (uses 2-color method?).

Unless the radiator is clogged with hay, or a shroud restricts the flow, airflow when driving on the highway should suffice, so your clutch-fan likely isn't the cause. More likely, something is limiting water flow rate. Many hobbyists claim that restricting the flow can increase cooling. I'll just note that the T-stat works the other way, and that idea has no basis in heat transfer theory.

The problem in my M-B turned out a clogged radiator. Before getting a new radiator, I had tried everything over a year (T-stats, water pumps, citric acid flushing, used flushed radiator, clutch-fans, ...). The problem was that the temperature would creep above setpoint when idling a long time at a stoplight, then drop when driving. Normally, that fingers the fan, so seemed strange. I popped open the OE radiator and found just a thin metallic-mud film covering many of the down-tubes, and it flaked off easily. Strange it hadn't when I ran a grill brush over the top from outside.

Last edited:
-
Back