Temp Gauge A Mystery,,,,Help

-

6pk2goDemon

Mopar Mod
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
the temp gauge in my 72 Demon is baffling me. When I ground the wire to sending unit, the gauge pegs. Just replaced the sending unit and temp only moves to about 120. I'm sure it's running hotter than that. Any thoughts on where else to look. Thanks

What temp thermostat you running?
The only real way to tell what is going on is to check the temp with a thermometer in the radiator. If you don't have a automotive temp probe grab the wife's baking thermometer and test with it, then compare the temp to ohm reading in the manual to see if you really do have a problem Such as a poor ground on dash panel

Check the nuts that complete the circuit on the back of the cluster ( the ones for the temp gauge)--they are probably somewhat loose. Take them off, clean, and retorque. Seen it more than once.

Low or wrong gauge readings can be a failing instrument voltage regulator also. I'm curious as to how you read 120 from a stock gauge with no increments.

Definitely check the voltage--should be around five. Since you didn't mention yer fuel gauge as a problem, it's probably OK. They share the same 5 volt source. On the other hand, if yer fuel gauge is whacked, you can kill two birds with a new regulator. Let us all know how it turns out.

Check the nuts that complete the circuit on the back of the cluster ( the ones for the temp gauge)--they are probably somewhat loose. Take them off, clean, and retorque. Seen it more than once.

I agree with 5.7 Dart. While the cluster is off do the lamp pads and fuel gage too. I recommend removing one nut clean the copper pad, replace nut and then do the other.

While yer at it, change every single bulb. And if you like Mission Creep, get one of those white gauges packages and do that as well. They're only twenty bucks and look like a million.

Low or wrong gauge readings can be a failing instrument voltage regulator also. I'm curious as to how you read 120 from a stock gauge with no increments.

RedFish, the voltage regulator is new. The temp gauge actually moves to the first line above the 120, whatever that reading is. Fooled with it a little more today. Still no luck. Will keep trying. Thanks

Definitely check the voltage--should be around five. Since you didn't mention yer fuel gauge as a problem, it's probably OK. They share the same 5 volt source. On the other hand, if yer fuel gauge is whacked, you can kill two birds with a new regulator. Let us all know how it turns out.

5.7,,,,,My fuel gauge is also a problem. I'll fill er up and gauge reads full. Drive 30 or 40 miles and it reads 1/4 tank. When I go to fill, it only takes 7 or 8 gallons, so yes, I would say fuel gauge is also not reading properly.

It can't be that bad on gas,,,,I hope.....$3.35 for premium here today.

I'm not sure how to check the voltage. I know you say 5 volts. Your help is appreciated.

When you say the voltage regulator is new, which one ar you refering to ?
The system voltage regulateor (under the hood) and the instrument voltage regulator (on the back of the panel) are 2 differnt animals.

Yeah, what he said. The regulator on the back of the cluster. Sounds like yer problem. Should be 12V comin' in, and around 5 going out.

DSC06104_104_080 (Small).JPG

RedFish, the voltage regulator is new. The temp gauge actually moves to the first line above the 120, whatever that reading is. Fooled with it a little more today. Still no luck. Will keep trying. Thanks

So what's the problem? Only had one Mopar run a temperature higher than that since 1967. It was a 71 Sport Suburban with a 360 that liked to run about 1/8" past the left mark. If they got to the middle of the gauge they were boiling. The only cars I have seen that like to run with the temp gauge in the middle of the dial were Blowties and Phords.
I've seen fuel gauges that dropped a half tank in 50 miles and the last half took forever to hit empty. Having half a tank of fuel with the gauge showing 1/4 has happened to me.
Been my experience that Mopar gauges ain't all that precise. You learn to deal with it in return for never being stranded beside the road or having important stuff fall off. Doesn't sound to me like your problem is in the dash. The temp gauge is working normally and the gas gauge is more than likely a sender problem if it has a problem at all. Hope this helps.

Yeah, what he said. The regulator on the back of the cluster. Sounds like yer problem. Should be 12V comin' in, and around 5 going out.

When you say the voltage regulator is new, which one ar you refering to ?
The system voltage regulateor (under the hood) and the instrument voltage regulator (on the back of the panel) are 2 differnt animals.

thanks guys, think we're moving in the right direction. added an auto meter temp gauge today, just to be sure. cluster definately needs work. any easy way to check the regulator on the back of the cluster?

-
Back