temp gauge markings

-

Backally

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Got a 70 Duster, 340 with 3 core radiator and 180 stat. Wondering if anyone knows what the range is on the temp gauge between the markings. Looked in SM and saw no mention. I took the picture below when it was 70F out, temp in the radiator was 187. I am sure it will read higher when the summer heat comes in and it seems like my gauge reads higher than I would expect.

Attachments

• temp gauge.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 165
if these instruments were anything more than range indicaters they might have had numbers on their screens rather than just hash marks. Anyway...
You wouldn't know if it overheated.

Attachments

• temp gauge on DeMonIVR.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 150
That's what I'm concerned about. It seems to be reading high for just under 190F, I will be trying to test it as I see the gauge go up but was wondering what the temp difference between the markings is supposed to be. Put a new sensor on to see it that made a difference but it didn't.

That's what I'm concerned about. It seems to be reading high for just under 190F, I will be trying to test it as I see the gauge go up but was wondering what the temp difference between the markings is supposed to be. Put a new sensor on to see it that made a difference but it didn't.

Now we have to wonder if all 3 gauges are reading too high or is the fault in the temp gauge only.

I believe that the lines represent 20 degree increments for each line, so your gauge is really reading high. I'm interested in seeing if you find out why?

Damn, I was hoping this would be something simple. Would it be possible that the gauge came from a different vehicle and as such would be calibrated different? I believe the engine on the dyno ran 80psi oil pressure, it was at warm idle in the picture but pretty much goes to the top of the gauge when running it. Is there any way to test it, or recalibrate it other than removing it from the car and sending it somewhere? I may temporarily put in a aftermarket temp gauge that reads the actual temp, but I like the look of the stock gauge/instruments so would like to keep that in the long run.

With key off temp needle is between the C and the first hashmark, just touching the C

If you're still using the stock mechanical limiter it may be the problem. They can send the wrong voltage through the gauges which makes them read wrong.

I feel a teaching/learning moment coming on here. What are mechanical limiters for the gauges, what do they do and are they internal to the gauges? You say "stock" mechanical limiters, are there aftermarket ones, what do they do different and how would I find out what I have?

I feel a teaching/learning moment coming on here. What are mechanical limiters for the gauges, what do they do and are they internal to the gauges? You say "stock" mechanical limiters, are there aftermarket ones, what do they do different and how would I find out what I have?

The basics can be read over at the DeMonIVR website.
http://www.demonivr.com/about.html

OK, I remember these from an earlier problem. If I recall, mine are internal to the gauges. When I send my in my gauges in the future, that will be something I need to remember to address.

Thanks for all the help!

-
Back