temp sending question.

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was re-wiring this engine bay and traced out a wire that is a temp sending wire. problem is I dont see one on the engine. I think someone has removed it. naaaahhhhhhhhhh. Does it go in the end of the head on the pass. side in that little hole that looks like something has been removed. Is it a 1/8 inch sending unit that I can buy at o'reillys.thanks

73 Dart Sport. it is a purple wire. Where is the temp sending unit on a 360 located.

its right below the fuel filter with the purple wire going to it

Attachments

• d334.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 240
Also...Not all sending units will read the same. Different ohms ?
If you have a stock gauge get a stock replacement sending unit.
If you have an aftermarket gauge, get the recommend sending unit.

well, i dont have any sending unit in it right now. I have just the guage in the instrument cluster so I guess i need a stock unit. where do I get a stock replacement. a parts store. do they still have them for this age car. It is a stock intake. Bill

All the chain stores carry them.
Tell them the year/motor of your car. Easy Peasy.

well, I just went out and checked the engine and it is still plugged. no wonder I couldnt find one. I will get one tomorrow at oreillys. So I need to ask for a stock replacement huh. I noticed they have several on their site. I didnt know they had different ohms.thanks

Attachments

• DSC03455 (Copy).JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 215
well, i dont have any sending unit in it right now. I have just the guage in the instrument cluster so I guess i need a stock unit. where do I get a stock replacement. a parts store. do they still have them for this age car. It is a stock intake. Bill

Pull that plug and measure it. I have one sitting right here in front of me, just need to verify the size.

PM me your address and I'll throw one in the mail, if you can wait a couple of days for it.

I just looked at their site.
They have 1/8" 1/2" 3/8" sending units.
The factory used a 1/8" sending unit.
Whatever size fits the plugged hole is the one you get.

I doubt that the catalog shows different sizes. Just buy what it calls for on your car, then buy a pipe bushing if needed.

OK Bruce, I dont know what you use to get it out with. It is too small of a hole for a 3/8 ratchet. Allen wrench doesnt work, torx bit dont work. I pulled the plug on the other side of the thermostat. will that hole work. The plug measures just a hair over 1/2" outside to outside the threads. I dont know if that would be a 1/2" or a 9/16" hole. I sent a pic of the spot. What do you think. Do you know what takes that plug out. I will get it. It is just about the same size as the one I pulled so I would say a 1/2" is what I need but what takes the plug out. Bill

Attachments

• DSC03456 (Copy).JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 218
I don't know, it sure looks like a 3/8 drive from here. Not sure if that other hole is a wet hole or if that's for some kind of emissions crap.

Let's see if someone can confirm.

I believe I have a bushing too if that's the case.

3/8 drive wont go in. I tried to tap an extension in with a hammer and it wont go. It is between a 1/4 and 3/8. I dont know of any tools in between that would work but what about the other hole. would a temp. sensor work there. I dont see why not. what do you think.

The hole you opened should work fine. It should be what is called 3/8" pipe. I believe the factory sender is 1/8" pipe so you need a 3/8 x 1/8" bushing.

You might break the other one if it's rusted bad. If you want to try, you'll have to determine what size it is, 3/8/ 5/16, etc. Sometimes you can buy a short piece of square keystock at a hardware store, and get a crescent wrench down close to the bottom.

Frankly, if it were me, I'd go with the one you got open.

I have my factory one in the passenger side and the aftermarket in the hole shown on the drivers side. Driver side works but you wont get a reading till the thermostat opens for the first time. :tonqe:

Bruce, If you have a 1/2 " correct sending unit and want to send it, I will get it out. An allen wrench I had went in pretty tight, I had to tap it but it fit snug. I will weld the allen wrench to the plug and turn it out. I had to weld a wrench to my sons drain plug on his 05 grand prix when he bought it because the dealership buggered up the plug getting it out. If not I can get on at the parts house. If that dont work, I will get the other hole ready and use it. Let me know.

I have two bushings here, one is .52 and the other is .65 measuring about two thirds up on the threads with my calipers. Can you confirm which one?

-
Back