temp sending question.

-
I am gonna work on getting that plug out tomorrow. I am gonna go back with what is supposed to go in there. I will let you know what happens. Thanks,Bill

If you move to the other hole, you may need a different bushing. The sending unit is what was in my 74.

I doubt that the catalog shows different sizes. Just buy what it calls for on your car, then buy a pipe bushing if needed.

Before you Doubt something, maybe you should look it up.
I did,on the Oreillys website. They have a sender in each of the sizes I mentioned. No need for any hardware store BS.
Why even try on this site ?

Before you Doubt something, maybe you should look it up.
I did,on the Oreillys website. They have a sender in each of the sizes I mentioned. No need for any hardware store BS.
Why even try on this site ?

How about a link?

According to Rock Auto, factory is 1/8" pipe

According to NAPA, they show a "low" and "high" quality, both 1/8" pipe

According to O'Reallys they show UNIVERSAL, one of which is clearly a WARNING LIGHT SWITCH. Their listing hardly inspires confidence in their catalog application listings.

For the record, I sold auto and truck parts, log chain and chokers, hydraulic hoses and fittings and industrial belts, chain, sprockets and related hardware for 15 years. I JUST DON'T REMEMBER ever asking a customer "do ya know what size" your temp sender is on a factory stock application.

How about a link?

According to Rock Auto, factory is 1/8" pipe

According to NAPA, they show a "low" and "high" quality, both 1/8" pipe

According to O'Reallys they show UNIVERSAL, one of which is clearly a WARNING LIGHT SWITCH. Their listing hardly inspires confidence in their catalog application listings.

For the record, I sold auto and truck parts, log chain and chokers, hydraulic hoses and fittings and industrial belts, chain, sprockets and related hardware for 15 years. I JUST DON'T REMEMBER ever asking a customer "do ya know what size" your temp sender is on a factory stock application.

I already stated that the factory was 1/8".
Anyways here you go. Every size I mentioned. And they are all temp senders,the one just uses a different connection.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/s...ap?model=Dart&vi=1088591&year=1973&make=Dodge

PS: I don't do log chains or chokers or even industrial belts. I build Mopars.

Swinger, I was talking to my son this morning at breakfast if he wanted to run a dummy light and a guage too. Might do that. Thanks

well,I dont know what was factory . The hole looks bigger than 1/8". I will know later today. Thanks

well,I dont know what was factory . The hole looks bigger than 1/8". I will know later today. Thanks

The hole looks bigger than 1/8" because it is 1/8 PIPE THREAD.

Pipe threads run bigger than their numeric size designation.

You could always drill out the hole for the original OEM location and then retap it.

However, be aware that there are different types of pipe taps. There is straight pipe thread taps and tapered pipe thread taps. I would recommend using a straight pipe thread tap. If you use a tapered pipe thread tap, and tap too far, you can open up the hole too far and the sensor threads won't tighten up (threaded hole will be too big). It is much safer to use a straight pipe thread tap so the hole is the same constant diameter all the way through. You may have to go to a professional supplier like Production Tool Supply or Grainger to get the proper STRAIGHT PIPE THREAD TAP. Regular hardware stores usually only carry the tapered pipe thread taps.

Chrysler usually went with a straight pipe thread tap for the female hole and a tapered pipe thread for the hole. This way the "plug" will go in until the tapered part gets larger than the straight hole like a cork. (straight hole with a tapered plug). With a tapered pipe thread, it is hard to control and keep the depth where you don't open it up too much.

With a little measuring you can mark a common tapered pipe tap so to stop about 1 revolution short of the major diameter of the threads on the fitting.

Bruce, If you have a 1/2 " correct sending unit and want to send it, I will get it out. An allen wrench I had went in pretty tight, I had to tap it but it fit snug. I will weld the allen wrench to the plug and turn it out. I had to weld a wrench to my sons drain plug on his 05 grand prix when he bought it because the dealership buggered up the plug getting it out. If not I can get on at the parts house. If that dont work, I will get the other hole ready and use it. Let me know.[/QUOT

A 3/8 extension is what is supposed to work in these plugs. Because of corrosion you would need to grind the tip of the extension to get it to fit. Don't grind too much it needs to fit snugly. Tap it in with a hammer. That's how I got mine out.

A 3/8 extension is what is supposed to work in these plugs. Because of corrosion you would need to grind the tip of the extension to get it to fit. Don't grind too much it needs to fit snugly. Tap it in with a hammer. That's how I got mine out.

Actually it's not a 3/8 extension, even when new (I have some of those threaded plugs that are new and a 3/8 extension is still too big)

I keep an old broken screwdriver around for removing those plugs, the square end (where the handle used to be) is a perfect fit. I snap a pair of vice grips on the "tool", heat the plug a little bit and it spins right out.

Though the original poster is pulling the wrong plug out if he wants to install an original 1/8" Electric Sender. The plug he's trying to remove is for an aftermarket mechanical sender. On his intake, it looks like someone threaded a bolt into the hole.

See attached pictures from my '84 D50 for reference.

SANY0122.jpg

SANY0121-1.jpg

The factory electric sender always goes in the small hole closest to the head. (This applies to all factory intakes and pretty much every aftermarket intake too)

thank you 74 Dusted. now I will buy that hole. I went back and checked and there is a bolt in the hole that looks to be a 1/8" hole. I was at oreillys this morning and they do have a factory sensor 1/8". The plug I was trying to get out, aint coming out.

thank you 74 Dusted. now I will buy that hole. I went back and checked and there is a bolt in the hole that looks to be a 1/8" hole. I was at oreillys this morning and they do have a factory sensor 1/8". The plug I was trying to get out, aint coming out.

So did you get it? If so I'll hold off on this one. I did get your PM but wasn't clear whether you got the sending unit or not.

I am going up there right now to see if they have it. they said they did on the phone but you know how that goes. will let you know soon.thanks

badsport, I got a 1/8" factory sending unit and it is in the hole. Thanks guys for your help. now on to the next problem.

-
Back