Temperature Sensor Question

-

EDMOPAR

Reaction score
Hi, I am installing a radiator with electric fans, the sensor that came with the relay kit has 3/8" npt threads, my intake which is a eldebrock performer has a 1/8" and a 1/4" port, tried using an adapter, but sensor would not fit, I am using the heater hose port for heater, any suggestions on a sensor that has 1/8" npt or 1/4" npt threads. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Ed ( temp degree is 185 closed(fans on) and 165 open (fans off)

A few years ago, I bought two Hayden fan relay kits with temp sensor that screws into the coolant (better than "stuff in radiator fins" sensors). I recall a 1/8" NPT thread, certainly not 3/8" NPT. I bought cheap on rockauto ~$25 vs the normal >$50 I saw for that model.

Another idea is to add a T to a heater hose tube. I did that in my 383 to fit a large temp sensor (~3/8" NPT) that came with my Holley Pro-jection kit. What you can do depends on what engine you have (please always tell us when asking a question). An early cast iron w.p. small block might be easy. I think later small blocks and slants wouldn't work (no screw in heater tube). A final idea is to cut your upper rad hose and install a coupler made for screwing in a sensor (ebay). I recall you can get some w/ a filter screen too.

Drilling and tapping that manifold on the engine won't hurt a damned thing. Try to catch most of the chips, use grease in the hole, on the drill, on the tap. But a few chips of aluminum in the cooling system are not gonna hurt a thing.

If you ARE that concerned, buy a T stat gasket and pull the T stat. You can stuff a rag / towel in the T stat hole and catch / clean virtually all of it.

Beware Some aftermarket sensors bottom in the intake before tightening in the threads.

If you're willing to work through outflow of water or air... either would push the chips out of the hole.

-
Back