Temporary paintjob on dart swinger - matte grey?

-

SwedenMopar

Reaction score
Since i cant afford leaving the work for a paintshop, i was thinking about sanding and then rolling my '72 dart with a matte paint? Most likely matte grey. So i was wondering if anyone has any pictures of mopars/other musclecars with matte paintjobs, or maybe have any suggestions on how it will look? :)

I've had cars that stayed in gray primer for years. Kinda grows on you. No worries about parking lot dings and scrapes. Way better than letting it rust.

Unless it's an epoxy primer it will be hydroscopic, so any areas where it is over bare metal will rust through in short order.

Most of the cars you see these days with a matte finish are painted with a base coat of your color choice then covered with matte clear. You get all the protection of a base/clear with out the hassles of trying to flatten a single stage.

Okay sounds like if that would work. but has anyone else rolled his mopar/other car in a matte paint? Pictures would be nice! :)

I dont know if this chebelle is rolled or not, but if possible i would like my dart's paint to look like this :p

thumb1280x1280_3270441823_11714fb1d7_o.jpg

You might be able to roll on Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator - they come in several colors (not sure about the gloss). And it would serve as a primer coat for future work.

Okay sounds like if that would work. but has anyone else rolled his mopar/other car in a matte paint? Pictures would be nice! :)

I dont know if this chebelle is rolled or not, but if possible i would like my dart's paint to look like this :p

thumb1280x1280_3270441823_11714fb1d7_o.jpg

That is HOT!!!!! Shows off the lines of the car really well but it's still nothing fancy and doesnt have to be. There are no rules....

I am painting my entire truck in hotrod black.
Why do temporary? Do you know how easy this is to do yourself?
You should read up about it. The more you know, the more you're apt to just say to hell with it and do it yourself.

I flat out refuse to pay a bodyshop to do anything. I refuse to pay anyone to do anything in fact. Only exception being I dont own a machine shop. lol

I learned how to do it all myself. Know how much money you can save?
And the more practice you get, the more people will ask you..."damn! who painted that?"

I will be detailing my paintjob and bodywork this summer...stay tuned.

That is HOT!!!!! Shows off the lines of the car really well but it's still nothing fancy and doesnt have to be. There are no rules....

I am painting my entire truck in hotrod black.
Why do temporary? Do you know how easy this is to do yourself?
You should read up about it. The more you know, the more you're apt to just say to hell with it and do it yourself.

I flat out refuse to pay a bodyshop to do anything. I refuse to pay anyone to do anything in fact. Only exception being I dont own a machine shop. lol

I learned how to do it all myself. Know how much money you can save?
And the more practice you get, the more people will ask you..."damn! who painted that?"

I will be detailing my paintjob and bodywork this summer...stay tuned.

Yeah we'll see, if i end up acctually doing a good job, i might keep the paint :) Yeah im trying to learn as much as possible about rolling cars so i dont f**k up when im gonna do it ;) First time ever im rolling a car. Do you have any pics of ur truck? :D

Which matte colors do u guys think would suit a '72 swinger best? I think it would be awesome with matte grey like the picture i posted, and with a black stripe in the back! But im really curious if it is possible to roll a car so it ends up being as nice as the chebelle i posted ;)

Giving the thread a little bump ;) It would be kickass if someone had any pics of a Dart swinger with matte paint? Wanna see how it could look like when im rolling mine :)

Nice man! Im seriously thinking of rolling the dart flatblack, but keeping all the chrome (bumpers etc) together with the American racing outlaw II wheels im getting home in may! :D What do u guys think of that?

Please if anyone has more pictures of flat black/grey swingers i would be very thankful! :D

I'd go with the semi-gloss "hotrod black" myself. Would look sweeeet. You could even spray it on yourself if you have an air compressor and a cheap $50 spray gun. Would look better than rolling it I think.

Which matte colors do u guys think would suit a '72 swinger best? I think it would be awesome with matte grey like the picture i posted, and with a black stripe in the back! But im really curious if it is possible to roll a car so it ends up being as nice as the chebelle i posted ;)

Absolutely!

Haven't you seen the thread on moparts about painting with a roller?
It really does come out great!

I am using kirker brand hot rod black.
I saw some other matte finishes I liked too elsewhere like a matte purple.
Weird, but very cool.

Absolutely!

Haven't you seen the thread on moparts about painting with a roller?
It really does come out great!

I am using kirker brand hot rod black.
I saw some other matte finishes I liked too elsewhere like a matte purple.
Weird, but very cool.

Cool :D Do u have a link to that thread maybe? would be nice :D

WOW 5258 :D that is exactly how i want my swinger do look like, but maaaybe flat grey im so confused dont know which to pick :p But did you roll or spray ur Dart?

I am planning on doing a temporary paint job on my '67 Dart. I think it would look killer done up like this one.

4171570022_large.jpg

i went to wal mart and bought a case of cheap flat black spray paint at a cost of 15.00, then 2 cans of red gloss krylon for another 6.00 to do the hood and rear stripe. i figured this way , i can work on the body while i drive it, then just sand it all off and properly prime and paint it when money allows. however when i did this, i just scuffed the factory brown paint, so there is protection underneath. i had a friend in high school that drove a primered grey valiant for 6 years before he got it painted. he never had any rust issues , and that was rattlecan, he just kept up on it.

i went to wal mart and bought a case of cheap flat black spray paint at a cost of 15.00, then 2 cans of red gloss krylon for another 6.00 to do the hood and rear stripe. i figured this way , i can work on the body while i drive it, then just sand it all off and properly prime and paint it when money allows. however when i did this, i just scuffed the factory brown paint, so there is protection underneath. i had a friend in high school that drove a primered grey valiant for 6 years before he got it painted. he never had any rust issues , and that was rattlecan, he just kept up on it.

Ur dart looks killer :D But which way is the best to paint it? With a roller or a spray can? I think its easier to roll the car flat black and make it look good for a newbie like me :p What do u guys think?

Here is a picture of my new Dart in "Hot Rod Black" gloss primer. I'm thinking about a white stripe on it but sure like the black on black from above too!

Attachments

• 20150827_092727 - Copy.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 244
  • 20150827_092749.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 215
Wow!
This thread is 5 years old, still has pertinent information though........

-
Back