Tesla motors

-

1969dodgedartgt

Reaction score
Tesla motors and their cars what's your opinion? love or hate? please share

agree with the Top Gear guys that electric is not the way of the future?

I think their acceleration is awesome and that yes electric cars have a bright future. Battery advances will surely help make EV much more practical.

btw their stock has done well for me and promises to do great(according to Morgan Stanley). Id recommend it, even if I think its moderately risky. :flower:

I have been a fan of the Tesla for a long time. It is the best electric on the market.

I believe the car was named after Nikola Tesla whom I wish were alive today; his knowledge of electricity would do us good! He was so far ahead of his time that no one understood his inventions. And very few people give him credit for them; including his 60hz AC Motors.

Tesla seems like a cool company but I thing Fisker auto is a better one because the 4 door that tesla make was designed by Fisker and the fact tesla sells just the 4 door and a 2 seater while Fisker auto also sells the same 4 door and is making/selling a 2 door, 4 seater convertible called the sunset (personally I think the sunset looks awesome, I'd buy one).

Cool cars, 300hp electric motor , mountains of torque. 250 miles on a charge? whats not cool?

FYI, just a quick check on Fisker says that the company based in Anaheim (Irvine?) outsources it's entire build. They did secure a 529 million dollar grant from the government under department of energy act. They spent 20 mill buying a GM plant in Wilmington De. (Google is your friend).

I'm still not sold on electric vehicles. They might be fine for driving around town. I can get over 400 miles per tank with my 440 GTX and fill-ups take 5 minutes. How long does it take to recharge the Tesla batteries and where can you recharge them? How much does battery replacement cost and how many years can they go before replacement? Too many questions.

Umm you guys listen to the news??? Where is the power (electric power) going to come from to charge these cars???? Can't build nuclear power plants, can't mine coal, oh yeah wind mills and solar panels, yep that'll work. sorry to be so sceptical but the future will IMO be in some type of alternate fuel cells, not electric cars, the batteries in the volt lose 50% of there charge once temps get below 32 degrees, so us up the the north are screwed, great for all the people in California and warm climates though.

the Fisker is hybrid apparently.

and the power always has to come from somewhere, whether you produce on the car or off the car is the question. I do hope that Tesla eventually makes cars with their own power generators, perhaps in the form of hydrogen fuel cells or something else. But for the masses I do believe batteries alone could suffice and be very very practical in say 10 years or less. Nano tech might allow these things to basically continuously recharge themselves. This is already done to a degree in the prius and such.

anyway for now, I agree they are no good for continual distance driving but most driving is not continual distance driving. Most people drive 12 hours or less and then rest for 12 hours or so.

It runs on electric supplied from a battery up to 70 M.P.H or until the battery is depleted then the Engine generator starts and powers the the wheels via a planetary gear set it shares with the electric motor.

As long as you either charge the battery or fill the gas tank you can drive anywhere for as long as you like.

Best of both worlds in one car.

This is where the Chevy Volt shines.

This is almost as bad as the smart cars with hayabusa motors in them (funny to watch people get their *** handed to them though).

Friend of mine has a body shop in Seattle. Had three Telsa's in his shop last week end. They all needed body work. Fiber glass and Seattle traffic dosen't work very well.

every time you convert energy's form you loose a little. Generate electricity, put it through transmission lines, loose a little, take that and charge batteries, loose a little. And as said before, where is the electricity coming from? Oh, and they say our grid is already over stressed so wait 'til everybody plugs their rides in when they get home and watch the lights dim. Electric cars can work for urban commuters but until charging stations are everywhere you are on a short leash (or cord).

Hydrogen is another false goal, where do you get hydrogen? From natural gas....but you need electricity to strip the hydrogen from the gas. one step forward and two back. Oh, and what do you do with the spent batteries?

Electric cars...great idea. But, most people don't know that the manufacture and disposal of the batteries for electric cars WAS more harmful to the environment than traditional internal combustion setups. In addition electric motors produce ozone which we already have more than enough in the atmosphere This was the info I had 5 years ago. Has battery technology made great enough strides that this is not the case now??? Also last time I checked there weren't recharge stations on every street corner like gas stations, and....does anybody really know yet how much their electric bill is going to spike by recharging their cars every night. The batteries in a Prius although they have a 7 year warranty, last time I priced a replacement set it was 3500 bucks.
Hydrogen is a viable alternative but the biggest problem with it is safely storing it on the vehicle. To avoid having to store larger amounts of hydrogen and increase the safety factor the idea to perform electrolysis in the vehicle(splitting H20 back into separate hydrogen and oxygen hydrogen by passing electric current through water) was considered until scientists discovered that you need a large amount of electrical current to do this. So this was not done as then you would have another "system" to fail or have to frig with. The major advantages of hydrogen is that it is extremely efficient, the by products of burning it if I remember correctly are oxygen and water vapor. It is an extra clean fuel source. We will need to do something soon as well for our electrical generation as well. Many people were never approving of nuclear power generation and now this will be a real problem as people remember Japan.

The India...n's are way ahead of the curve. They have designed a powerful compressed air motor. Takes a few hours to air it up. Has AC and lots of other goodies. Only problem is it's construction (glued not screwed) which will never meet USA guidelines. To bad cause this would be a great urban commuter.

http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/659/

Mop

All that is going to happen is the population will keep rising. Demands on infrastructures will keep going up. If petro fuel is not available and electricity takes over, the cost of electricity will simply be outrageous as well and there will be massive elec shortages.

When a safe fast mid sized car comes out that can travel 300 miles on a charge and can be recharged in 5 - 10 minutes for less than 80 bucks, then the electric cars will have become something other than miniature suicide boxes made of exotic toxic poisons designed as a guise to distract half the population from reality. Elec cars are currently just a game too keep the enviro types employed. It serves no other purpose and has no practical application . The entire process is *** backwards.

You need massive ever prevalent infrastructure created to support a real electric car society that includes electric tractor trailer rigs and rail trains. Where is that power infrastructure? Is it up some politicians *** and we can see it? Also where will the power come from? Solar? Wind? hehehehheheh surrrreeeeee..

Start building wind farms now and we may get enough of them to power the country in a hundred years or so. By then the population will have exponentially increased so we will mainly be trying to kill each other for food and will have forgotten about electric cars anyway.

COAL! thats the answer. I say lets skip the massive losses in energy conversion, transmission and transportation and simply build coal burning cars.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/stories/2010/02/01/story2.html

I have an electric toaster that talks to my Iphone. We have reached the pinnacle of the electric age. Its time to look for a new source of motive force. Where are all the gravity powered cars anyways? Oh, sittin at the bottom of the hill.

modern efficient nuclear power, not the tired old outdated ones we have now
just dont build them on a fault line

Why aren't we looking at Natural Gas? The country is full of it. We can convert our old cars to run on it.....I don't get it. Nobody talks about it even though our country has endless supply????

Why aren't we looking at Natural Gas? The country is full of it. We can convert our old cars to run on it.....I don't get it. Nobody talks about it even though our country has endless supply????
It's the oil compnay's that make all the decisions them and our political leaders, ha thats a joke, there is some research being done, but there again if they can get us to spend 5 or 10 bucks a gallon why would they want to give us change??

It's the oil compnay's that make all the decisions them and our political leaders, ha thats a joke, there is some research being done, but there again if they can get us to spend 5 or 10 bucks a gallon why would they want to give us change??

I'm with you on the natural gas use. The advantages include a much higher octane rating which of course means running higher compression, it burns extremely clean, and as you said we have gobs of it. Last time I checked a 4 barrel conversion of a really high quality set up complete was about a grand.

grand.http://www.gotpropane.com/p4.html

-
Back