test drove some new cars today

-

fanofpetty

Reaction score
My daughter gaduated college last may and landed a good job, a management position at her company. She now needs a new car as the new job will require traveling about an hour each way to work. We went car shopping today and stopped at the subarru dealer and drove a new impezza.....very nice car. next we drove a Hyndai elantra at that dealer, also a nice driving car. so then we went to the dodge dealer and found there offerings in this catagory to be very slim......the only thing that seemed might fit the bill was a dodge avenger, so they let us test drive a new avenger....somewhat dissapointing! This car was brand new off the lot and we left the dealer and this thing shimmed the steering wheel and shook like a 30 year old car. It had the worst rear vision of the 3 cars we drove and the poorist fuel miliage too. It was also higher priced than the other two. I see why the japaneese cars out sell american cars. Being a life long mopar guy, (actually for generations in our family), I was dissapointed in chryslers offerings. Chrysler needs to get their head out of there ***, and start building better quality, smaller sized affordable cars! Every chrysler dealer we looked at online in our area, had loads of thoses ugly jeep compasses, and wranglers, pickups, minivans, chrysler sebrings, but nothing in the smaller size catagory. What kinds of new cars have you guys tested lately and what did you think of it? Were still shopping.

have you seen the new neon I mean dart that is coming out? BTW the impreza is a great car

ya we asked about the dart but they said it won't be at dealers until late summer realisticly....

after spending the day test driving , a 2008 jeep liberty , a 2009 chrysler sebring , a 2010 camry , a ford focus , believe it or not , the woman chose ,and i agreed, the 2009 pontiac G6 GT was by far the most nimble, powerful, gas efficient choice of the bunch. we hit the dodge dealership first and did not spend much time there. yes these were previously owned cars, but not one of them had over 20k on them.

My Dad has a 2011 Impreza. He really likes it with one exception.... He does not like the lack of seat adjustment (but a complaint like this depends on the driver).

I think it's a great car.

For a daughter with a new job a Hyundai or Kia would be hard to beat. 10 year warranty and usually a lower entry cost.

The trade off is lower resale.

My wife had an 05 Kia that we sold in June. It went 60k without missing a beat. I was skeptical when I started driving it (I didn't want to drive a Kia) but it really was a great car.

The Toyota Highlander is a great rig too. Drives like a car, room of an SUV, if optioned correctly they get good MPGs, Toyota reliability. Buying one that is a year or two old could be a good deal.

well the problem here is theres only a few dealers close so theres not a lot of choice of brands near us. We do have a ford and chevy dealer but my daughter does not like anything they make except for the mustang....but that would not be very practical for her.

if you want a new Ford I can help with "X" Plan

tell them at the dealer you are an X plan buyer and they will give you special Friends & neighbors price, show you the invoice with X plan price, you get all rebates to boot

Larry

well the problem here is theres only a few dealers close so theres not a lot of choice of brands near us. We do have a ford and chevy dealer but my daughter does not like anything they make except for the mustang....but that would not be very practical for her.

If you get her a Mustang she will just hook up with some dude (You know the kind, the kind you will hate) and he will crash it. I have seen this happen to more than one of my friends daughters. lol

well she dos'nt like SUVs....so thats out......but price is not an issue with the great salary they offed her. I guess she could afford a new BMW if she liked them. LOL! She just wants somthing good on gas, but not so small it's dangerous in a crash....god forbid!!

if you want a new Ford I can help with "X" Plan

tell them at the dealer you are an X plan buyer and they will give you special Friends & neighbors price, show you the invoice with X plan price, you get all rebates to boot

Larry
I work for a supplyer to chrysler, ford and GM , so I can get her the number, for a supplier discount ( usally dealer cost) but none of them makes anything that interest her.....go figure

we drove a hyndai elantra today, and she has an old hyndai accent now that has been a very good car, sinse she was in high school...but it's starting to rust pretty badly now and has 180.000 miles o9n it.....very tired!!

If you get her a Mustang she will just hook up with some dude (You know the kind, the kind you will hate) and he will crash it. I have seen this happen to more than one of my friends daughters. lol
he'd have to get by my shot gun!!!! LOL!

Have just take a test drive in a Ford Taurus Sho model. I thought they were crap until I got to drive one. Holy Crap! That car get good gas mileage, plenty of room and with that twin turbo V6 and 365 Hp and 350 TQ will get up an go. Other wise I'd opt for the Impreza WRX, why because I've driven them before and are good cars. Good with the WRX or STI version because they have a HUGE aftermarket following vs the standard impreza which are kind of hard to find besides the dealer or junkyard.

Have just take a test drive in a Ford Taurus Sho model. I thought they were crap until I got to drive one. Holy Crap! That car get good gas mileage, plenty of room and with that twin turbo V6 and 365 Hp and 350 TQ will get up an go. Other wise I'd opt for the Impreza WRX, why because I've driven them before and are good cars. Good with the WRX or STI version because they have a HUGE aftermarket following vs the standard impreza which are kind of hard to find besides the dealer or junkyard.

LOL, I think she is just a girl that wants to get reliably, back and forth to work.

SHO Tarus: MPG City/Hwy 17/25

WRX: MPG City/Hwy 19/25

STI: MPG City/Hwy 17/23

exactly....after all, if she wants to go fast she can drive my superbird or 340 duster......LOL!

LOL, I think she is just a girl that wants to get reliably, back and forth to work.

SHO Tarus: MPG City/Hwy 17/25

WRX: MPG City/Hwy 19/25

STI: MPG City/Hwy 17/23
Either of the two are super reliable but the WRX/STI have a bigger aftermarket following which means you won't be get raped at the dealer all the time and can get better parts from else where if something should go wrong.

well she dos'nt like SUVs....so thats out......but price is not an issue with the great salary they offed her. I guess she could afford a new BMW if she liked them. LOL! She just wants somthing good on gas, but not so small it's dangerous in a crash....god forbid!!

Might want to wait a year to make sure she doesn't get a pink slip if the company downsizes before getting a bunch of monthly payments going.

well, this is a well known company that been around for many many years, so i dought there going out of business anytime soon....but at any rate she needs a new car within the next 3 weeks or so.

Mazda 3 Hatchback. 1/2 the price of the STI, handles great and looks decent. I just bought a sport model with 19K for 15K. Very happy with it.

it will be a new car. We have ford, chevy, dodge/chrysler/jeep, hyndai, subaru, toyota, honda, volkswagon, nissan, umm thats about it....

-
Back