Test Stand build for 440 and Mopar

-

Rice Nuker

Let the Coal Roll!
Reaction score
Well I thought I'd share my proper attempt at fabbing a test station.

I pulled this engine and trans because we were rebuilding the steering rack and decided to restore the engine bay and put a mild cam in.

A few overview pics and then the progression of the test station.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_0509.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_0483.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_0470.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_0381.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_0377.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 312
  • 5.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 311
  • 4.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 303
  • 3.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 313
  • 2.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 326
More pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0600.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_0599.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_0598.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_0586.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_0580.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_0575.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_0574.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_0570.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_0562.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_0518.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 287
wow, hook up a concrete pumper to the back of that and go into business! Cool valve covers, always liked those.

Leanna did those valve covers. Did an excellent job of restoring them to much better than factory finish while still retaining factory look.

I would like to hook some sort of load to the output of the transmission but that will be in a later revision. I have to install a bit of a roll cage in the form of some overhead bars tied to the frame and then I can put a load on the back with out twisting the frame up. then there is the issue of how to create a load. I wanted to run the transmission thru its paces but that also comes with the load concept. If I had a river or pond on my property I could get PTO type irrigation pump and make a load that way.

I once did the calc, as I recall 300 HP if 100% transfered into heating water (via a water brake dyno) will heat 250 gals to boiling in something like 20 mins. Reality is that it would take longer, but that gives you an idea of how much water you'd need for a long test.

I'd look for a big agri water pump, fit it with a big gate valve on the discharge of the pump to vary the load and a good sized suction hose, and tow the thing down to the boat launch ramp at the lake.

=P~
I once did the calc, as I recall 300 HP if 100% transfered into heating water (via a water brake dyno) will heat 250 gals to boiling in something like 20 mins. Reality is that it would take longer, but that gives you an idea of how much water you'd need for a long test.

Roger that. Gotta have a large volume of water to keep it from getting hot.

... and tow the thing down to the boat launch ramp at the lake.

Hahaaaa! That would be a sight for sore redneck eyes. Good old boy with a big block Dodge, backed down the boat ramp launching a monster rooster tail of water with open exhaust pies singing a tune. Ahhh brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it. I would need my trucker hat which says "Funk as Druck" and probably fire up some Charley Daniels for that excursion. This is officially on my to do list.

Well I got the control panel and minor details straightened out. Time for lunch and then clean up this mess of tools and parts which has sprawled out over several work benches and the test stand.

Then add fluids, install fuel tank, check for leaks, prime the oil system, final electrical check and ........ fire it up!

Attachments

• IMG_0603.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_0604.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 243
Just one question though, does mama know that she's missing a cookie sheet?

Well, it all runs like a top. I gotta find a site to post a vid and link to here.
All has worked perfectly. Primed the oil pump about 730 am and fired it a few minutes later. the electric fuel pump ensured that I had proper fuel immediately.
Ran it between 1800 and 2500 for 30 minutes while dialing it in.

Wow that nippo '90 dodge mini starter works (spins) like a beast!

Does anyone have a suggestion on a website where I can upload videos for sharing on this forum?

A couple pics after we ran it. Discolored the headers and exhaust pretty good for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_0626.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0627.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 200
VERY COOL!!! :-D My only complaint is that I couldn't turn it up loud enough. LOL!

It's so cool to see my valve covers in your movies!! :prayer::prayer::prayer: Can I please share your videos on my FaceBook page and shop's Fan Page??? They'll love it -- I'll bet you'll gain some new admirers of your work too.

Thanks again most sincerely for letting me have a hand in this. We both know they were a lot of work but it's been really fun on this end watching what you've done with them both in and out of the car. I'm truly honored to be on board. << curtsey >>

Thanks for checking out my progress and the kind words :).

I can't make any more videos until tomorrow afternoon after work. My neighbor, even though he is a couple hundred meters away, is a Vet and likes to take naps so I dont like to make noise too much in the evenings. Especially after all the target practicing we did yesterday afternoon after spending the whole of Sunday morning revving this thing up. He was like "you guys had that tractor revved up all morning!" :)

Thanks for checking out my progress and the kind words :).

I can't make any more videos until tomorrow afternoon after work. My neighbor, even though he is a couple hundred meters away, is a Vet and likes to take naps so I dont like to make noise too much in the evenings. Especially after all the target practicing we did yesterday afternoon after spending the whole of Sunday morning revving this thing up. He was like "you guys had that tractor revved up all morning!" :)

I truly understand. You have to keeo the peace!

How long should I run the break in oil concoction?
I gooped the cam with a full pack of comp cam grease, I put a full bottle of Lucas zddp and filled it up with rotella 10-30.

I was thinking about dumping the oil and filter after a few more starup sessions for a total of about 2 hours on the oil.

I usually put about 500 miles on then dump it. I've seen people here say to dump it after break-in when it's warm. Your call!

Nice.

All you need is a steering wheel and tires and you can drive your test stand. Like the guys who put briggs and stratton engines on their sofas and cruise around....

-
Back