Testing Oil Pressure On A Big Block 440

-

bwillaub

Reaction score
Getting ready to start my 440 before putting it in the Dart. A couple of questions for you expert Moparians. 1. Do the plugs need to be installed to test? 2. What pressure/pressures should I be looking for?
Thanks a bunch!

Getting ready to start my 440 before putting it in the Dart. A couple of questions for you expert Moparians. 1. Do the plugs need to be installed to test? 2. What pressure/pressures should I be looking for?
Thanks a bunch!
Its easier to crank over by hand without the plugs in. I assume you are using a priming tool while rotating the crank? Id expect nothing less than 35/40 if youre clearances are correct.

Jake

Sorry, I get easily confused. Were you going to start it to test the oil pressure? Which plugs? Spark plugs, no. But it won't start without spark plugs. All oil galley plugs, yes.

I generally have 60 psi plus when turning the oil pump priming tool with a hand held speed wrench. A drill motor isn't needed.

If your rocker shafts are not installed or the oil feed circuit to the rocker shaft bolt isn't in place, and using a drill priming device, do not stand in front of this , as you rotate the crank to line up the cam feed passage hole, to confirm feed to the top end, you will end up wearing the oil all over your shirt!
1 ruined sweater as of last Sunday, but got 70 lbs out of it!

Sorry, I get easily confused. Were you going to start it to test the oil pressure? Which plugs? Spark plugs, no. But it won't start without spark plugs. All oil galley plugs, yes.

I generally have 60 psi plus when turning the oil pump priming tool with a hand held speed wrench. A drill motor isn't needed.

Not starting the engine yet. Just wanted to be sure of oil pressure before the start. The 5/16 hexshaft run counter clockwise in my cordless drill bottomed out the pressure gauge. Oil pump works fine.

Yeah you don't need to use a drill for pre-oiling. A speed wrench spun by hand is all that it takes to build pressure. If you have the factory oiling system then you have to rotate the engine to TDC split overlap to oil one side then rotate the crank another 450 degrees to oil the other side and you are done.

-
Back