Thank you...Stuck...to UNSTUCK!!!

-

HowardBishop

Reaction score
Thank you to all the MOPAR men who gave me VERY helpful ideas to unfreeze a 318 motor. IT WORKED!!!! It took three weeks....probably easier to tear it apart and start rebuilding.....but....here's what I did...
pulled plugs..
disconnect belts....
filled pistons with Deep Creep, Marvel Mystery Oil, diesel fuel, WD-40, transmission fluid.......as much as a piston would hold.....
put a half inch breaker bar and socket on the crank bolt....
hooked a come-along around the breaker bar and around the shock tower...
put some pressure on the bar....left it over night....
unhooked the come-along....rocked the bar counterclock wise and then clockwise....
hooked the come-along back up....repeat for a couple days of pressure...
IT MOVED slightly!!!!
Continue the come-along....rocking-bar procedure.....More and more give and the motor began to turn.
I put an extension on the breaker bar for more hand -arm pulling ....pushing......Yesterday I completed the full rotation using the breaker bar and extension.....NOW IT TURNS EASILY WITH THE BREAKER BAR!!
Next step.....try to start it.
Any way....many thanks for nearly 20 responses to my problem...here's a real success story!!! The steady come-along pressure was the key....Thanks to God for that additional idea!!!!
Howard

I read about the steady pressure but wasn't sure if it would work. might have to try it, I have an engine here that is stuck good. broke 2 breaker bars so far and has had pretty much every penetrant/lubricant available on the market down the cylinders. its been stuck like that for probably 20 years. every once and a while we decide to give it a shot again just for fun. it would be neat to unstick it and then get it running even if it smoked like a sob. plus then the car could be moved around easier. going to give it a shot!

just went out and put a weighted breaker bar on mine, lets see what happens.

how much pressure were you putting on it? I didn't go crazy with mine as i don't want it to fall off and hit the fender and screw a good fender up.

I was probably more patient than most guys would have been....It was the breaker bar with the come-along...I could crank on it...then loosen it a bit....then totally loose.....then more pressure.
As strange as this sounds...I believe leaving it in the sun....then closing the hood in the night cold....then the warm sunlight.....along with the come-along varied pressure...got it going slightly. The expansion and contraction under pressure helped.
The bar at about a 45 degree angle....a carabeener(sp) through the hole in the end of the breaker bar...the come-along wrapped around the shock tower....gave me good control and steady pressure. I didn't want to break the blot off the crank....so slow and steady won the race.
Good Luck! I'm still thanking God the Come-along idea!!
Howard

I started with a weight on the breaker....I used a cable and an intake manifold over the fender and against the front tire ....(a double wrapped towel between the manifold and the fender eliminated any scratches). I didn't like dealing with the weight. so...after 10 days....I switched to the come-along and enough pressure to slightly begin to bend the breaker. Then....I just left it alone with the pressure. Then...the alternate pressure and release....pressure and release....and was patient...three weeks seemed like forever...but it worked!!!!!
Next step....get her ready to start....and sell her....2-wheel drive...318...auto....half ton. Working on a 1972 Gold Duster and a 1969 Roadrunner.
Praise God!!!
Howard

Attachments

• 100_4021.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 276
  • 100_4033.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 271
  • 100_4023.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 253
I liked that idea of the pressure when I read it.. I'll definitely remember this one if the need arises.. good news

Grant

good news that the pressure worked! I have a flathead Ford V-8 that is siezed, no idea how long though, I will put some pressure on it and give that a try. Can't hurt anything!

Congratulations. Hope to see it running soon.

I had success freeing a frozen engine with a homegrown concoction of Trichlorethane, Marvel Mystery Oil, Liquid Wrench, and a little motor oil. The reasoning to use Trichlor was to make a fluid light enough to penetrate around the piston rings and into the grooves. Because Trichlor evaporates quickly, the other chemicals go back to their original viscosity for lubrication. I just squirted a little into the cylinders daily for about one week. It broke free with a breaker bar and pipe.

Well...the last two days...spent working on the truck...getting it ready to start. Tomorrow....Thursday is the day!!!!
I checked the starter relay...cleaned the posts and connections.
I replaced the Neutral Safety Switch...no current going through it...for ground.
I siphoned the old gas out of it.
I put new gas line and in-line fuel filter going to carb.
Reconnected all electrical...added fresh gas....turned the key.........
It's turning over strong and smooth ....but it is cold and late....I'm tired......
TOMORROW is the test.....fresh gas....a little "starter" fluid......can't wait!!!!!
Thanks to all the MOPAR guys who commented ...gave suggestions...prayed...yep...some brothers said they would pray.....I'm holding you to that guys!!! What an interesting month.....
Howard

Some of the antique Cat guys I know swear by a mix of acetone and ATF.. and maybe some FIRE! Granted, most of them are talking about breaking a diesel loose with the heads off.. but maybe sticking a butane/propane torch thru the sparkplug holes might help.. preferably before you fill the bores with flammable stuff!
These guys wil put a little kerosene in the bores and light it.. heat and cold cycles and moisture locked it up.. might also release it.
Looking forward to hearing about the start up operation.. Good luck!

Hi MOPAR Guys
Well....It started....second try. I added some more gas and then...siphoned that about a gallon off....good thing....still amber colored a bit. I added another gallon of medium grade gas. Total new gas.....3 gallons.
A little "starter spray"...and it fired on the second try.....very smokey and sounds like oil-starved valves.....but smooth as silk......unbelievable...I sat in the truck with a grin. I also hope that the neighbors over-looked a little blue cloud at the end of the street. As my granddaughter (5 months) was sleeping....I shut it off. I'm now sitting in front of my blazing stove....and considering my next step... The brakes are on the floor...!!!!!!!
So....that's the story. Now that it's running .....time to sell it and get on that Gold Duster...(see attached pics....power steering leak)...and maybe.....just maybe....that 1969 Roadrunner.
Thanks again for the support.....ideas....suggestions...We are pretty strong together!!!! Pictures coming later.....
Howard

Attachments

• 100_3852.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 141
  • 100_3855.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 100_3854.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 114
-
Back