That didnt go well!

-

rod7515

Reaction score
Tonight I went out to finish the sanding of the engine compartment and inner front fenders. Got done around 9:00PM and thought I might as well shoot some primer on it. So I put plastic down from the walls and taped everything up. Then I got out the primer that was left over from another paint job someone had done for me about a year ago. Had just about a quart in the can and I stirred and stirred till it was mixed up really well. I have a first line paint gun that was given to me a few years back and it has a 1.4 tip. I added the activator in the primer and started at the right side inner fender and shock tower area. I could get enough primer out of the gun. I kept backing out the needle and adding more air pressure but I guess it was just too small of needle and cap. Guess tomorrow I will be getting a new gallon of primer along with a gun that will do a better job with primer. It isnt a dry coating but it wasnt what I would call a wet coat either. Now the question is can I just shoot over that coat in a few days or do I have to rough sand it.
Oh, just in case you are wondering.... no I never painted before so its all new to me! Gonna be fun I can tell!
Rod

Lot of variables effect the primer deal. I like a 1.8 nozzle in my HVLP with about 25# of air. Temperature and viscosity are big ones. Too bad you didnt get what you need. Lots of practice sanding and mixing are in your future but at the end you will be a good painter:cheers:

What compressor do you use with an HVLP gun? Just a big one with 25 psi and a huge hose? Or is it some sort of turbine?

my compressor is a 55 gallon the will more than keep up with air guns for painting. Its a twin cylinder the keeps 125 PSI at all times.
As for sanding its one thing I hate. But it looks like I'll be getting better at it. I plan on getting a primer gun around a 1.8 to 2.0 needle set.
Rod

we had a 60 gal. compressor and had to go to an 80 gal. to keep up with our system for painting.

i'm no expert, but primers are thick, maybe the age makes it thicker too?? but I would guess ya need like the 1.8 tip desert rat suggested.....
also be sure to use strainer. helps to set the can upside down overnight, seems to help get the thick stuff off the bottom!!????
if its a hybrid epoxy, some I use,, say spray it will activator for primer, but add alittle reducer for use as a sealer. will flow better with little reducer..
body guys used to have guns for primer only too. I guess they still do??

Yea, I agree on a primer gun with a 1.8 tip. I bought a gallon of nason primer today and activator. $127 combined. Was thinking I should buy a spray kit that has different tip options. Summit has one by Devilbiss that is their off line. I think its called finsih line. 2 guns, 3 tips, 1.3, 1.5 and 1.8, 2 cups plasic storage case and cleaning kit for $140.
Going to lightly sand the primer and re prime tomorrow or Wednesday. Going to practice on a piece of 2X4 sheet metal I have. Got a feeilng this is going to be a long haul! lol
Rod

Yea, I agree on a primer gun with a 1.8 tip. I bought a gallon of nason primer today and activator. $127 combined. Was thinking I should buy a spray kit that has different tip options. Summit has one by Devilbiss that is their off line. I think its called finsih line. 2 guns, 3 tips, 1.3, 1.5 and 1.8, 2 cups plasic storage case and cleaning kit for $140.
Going to lightly sand the primer and re prime tomorrow or Wednesday. Going to practice on a piece of 2X4 sheet metal I have. Got a feeilng this is going to be a long haul! lol
Rod

summits deal sounds like plenty good one..... like anything, get the feel of the adjustments. I like to play with them when i'm blowing it out with laquer thinner. the paint or primer will be obviously thicker, put you are getting the feel of where to adjust. that way you can fine tune your spray or volume as you go without heartfailure!!???
another thing. if you want to replicate how the factory did the engine compartment, have lots of volumne and make quite a few "runs"!! LOL

Just ordered my paint gun kit from summit. Heres a link to what I am getting. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dvr-802343/overview/
This should allow me to do all the painting. My only concern over the winter is to be able to prime things as I go. I dont plan on painting until spring with the exception of the engine compartment. I'll update from this pooint in the body section as I go forward as well as in the restoration section on things I get accomplished.
Thanks
Rod

-
Back